Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

SLIDE SHOW - SOLO RIDING THE PACIFIC CREST TRAIL

For those who use stock on the trail, this forum is for you. Join in and share the immense knowledge this community has.

Moderators: grayhair, Ed Anderson

SLIDE SHOW - SOLO RIDING THE PACIFIC CREST TRAIL

Postby Ed Anderson » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:33 am

http://www.photodex.com/share/mendoridered/ck4

Please click on the link above to view slide show.

For anyone, hiker or rider, who would want to do the PCT, RESUPPLY will become a concern of great importance. Hikers can hitch into towns to resupply - a solo rider can't do that with a horse. In addition to my food, I also needed processed horse feed to supplement Primo's grazing. I resupplied 11 times between the Mexican border and Horseshoe Meadows (latitude of Lone Pine). Six of those were caches, four times I was met, and once a friend had dropped off my resupplies at Kennedy Meadows. After that, in N. Cal., Oregon, and Washington, I only cached. That turned out, for me, to be the best way to resupply. Of course, I also resupplied whenever I reached my camper and horse trailer. I would leave Primo in good, safe, care and drive the rig north to a safe place to park - both prearranged. I would cache at various locations near the PCT as I drove the rig forward. Then, to return to Primo, I either took public transportation (it was rarely available), or more often, would hitch-hike back to Primo. Sometimes, if I was lucky, an Angel might offer a much-appreciated ride. Then I would saddle up and continue north. This approach required a lot of research and planning. It allowed me to be free of having to be on a schedule - to be more flexible, independent, and self-reliant.
Last edited by grayhair on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: update video
Ed Anderson

Return to Stockman