Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Getting started

For those who use stock on the trail, this forum is for you. Join in and share the immense knowledge this community has.

Moderators: grayhair, Ed Anderson

Getting started

Postby kellythale » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi Ed..great reading your blog! Impressive to say the least - thanks for all of the incredible information.

I'm in the early planning stages of a PCT thru ride on horseback and I'm hoping you'd provide some much needed information.

A few questions: what's the best information for pre-planning and preparation? It looks like there are parts of the trail which are not passable on horseback. What did you do to to get around these areas?

And I guess, lastly --- if you had to do it all over again (knowing what you know now), what would you do differently?

Thanks so much,

Kelly Hale
Austin, TX
kellythale

Re: Getting started

Postby Ed Anderson » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Hello Kelly,
To do the PCT by horse is a wonderful experience, but will require that you do a lot of research and planning. To do it all in one season by horse is virtually impossible. It has taken me four. If you viewed my 32 minute slide show (click on the link) you will realize that, because of snow in 2008, I had pre-planned to trailer Primo north from Horseshoe Meadows to Sierra City. Last year and this summer, I was able to complete those missed Sections - and the PCT. Prior to starting the PCT in 2008, I already had a lot of experience packing into mountain areas with just one horse. Since all of those trips were under a week, and were often loops, resupply was never an issue. Doing the PCT was very different. Resupply strategy became a major concern. I couldn't hitch-hike into towns as the hikers do. While passing through Southern California, my wife met me four times, I cached four times, and I sent resupply boxes ahead to Kennedy Meadows once. That got me to Horseshoe Meadows. I had arranged for friends to meet me at several locations north of Sierra City. THEN I CHANGED MY MIND. I thanked the friends for their kind offers, having decided that it would be simpler, safer (no schedules), and more predictable to arrange to leave my horse in safe care and drive the rig ahead, caching as I went, park the rig in a safe place, hitch back, saddle up and ride north - resupplying as I went. You asked: If I were to do it again, would I change anything. Only one change - I would take pictures of every cache location so that I could more easily find it when I returned - sometimes a week or two later. When burying a cache I usually considered several possible spots before deciding. Then I would camouflage very carefully. On returning, I sometimes had a hard time finding the spot.

Because you are a woman, realize that hitch-hiking could be risky. Not impossible. I know of several PCT female hikers who have. I would like to give you some hitching tips. I will be happy to try to answer any of your questions.
My email address is: mendoridered@yahoo.com Please send me your phone number and we could talk. That will be more efficient. I have an unlimited phone. Include what day(s) and what time I'm likely to reach you.

Ed Anderson
Ed Anderson

Re: Getting started

Postby kellythale » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Ed,

I sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get it.

Kelly Hale
kellythale

Return to Stockman