Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Apps for Iphones

GPS's, cell phones, PDA's, tablets or any other electronic device, this is the place. Someone will eventually answer your questions.

It's OK to be a geek and a hiker!

Apps for Iphones

Postby Java » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:58 pm

I'm new to the smartphone world... does anyone have suggestions for Apps to add for my thru hike this year. Anything from maps, GPS, camera, music and whatever else you think could be fun.
Cheers,
Java
Java

PLEASE HELP!!!

Postby Java » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:02 am

I leave for San Diego in 2 days and I still need to figure out this IPhone thing....PLEASE HELP!!! Any and all App suggestions would help.
Thanks,
Java
Java

Postby tskye » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:01 am

My iphone was sooo useful. I used it to journal every night, look up weather, look up water reports.. The TOPO app is great. There's a way to download the waypoints of the trail from Halfmile's website so that the whole trail is laid out on the TOPO maps, and you use it as a GPS. It got us out of trouble once when we were lost in the San Jacinto's in the snow. I also like USA PeakFinder, The Weather Channel, MotionX GPS, GPS InFO, and Converter. Very fun tool
Good Luck!
Skyward (2010)
Teresa
tskye

iphone rrrrr

Postby gg-man » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:52 pm

I think I just figured out how to make journal entries using the iphone. I saved the base script in notepad and then selected the picture that I wanted to use. I pasted in the script and updated it then added the address. It would have been so much easier to have everything in a draft email then attach a picture but Noooooo apple doesn't allow such a simple task. I want my blackberry back!
gg-man

Copy & Paste Pic Instead

Postby ncalcamper » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:52 pm

This might be a little easier - let me know! From your notepad template, choose the mail icon at the bottom of the notes which creates an email. Save the email as a draft by hitting cancel, maybe multiple drafts of your template would be good. Go to your photos, press on the picture so the copy button comes up. Copy the picture and paste into your draft email. On the note, the first line is the subject line and the first sentence of the note, so pick something that is easy to update.
ncalcamper

Return to Gadgets