Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Smartphone access to files

GPS's, cell phones, PDA's, tablets or any other electronic device, this is the place. Someone will eventually answer your questions.

It's OK to be a geek and a hiker!

Smartphone access to files

Postby jj » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:27 am

My computer is a Macintosh, and I will carry an iPhone 3GS, so most of what I write about is based on those devices. However, some of the information will have general applicability.

As I wrote in another entry, the app Felaur PDF can be used to upload PDF files to an iPhone and store it on the phone, providing access with or without Internet access. It is easy to use and works well. So far. Halfmile's maps are easy to read and it looks as if they are detailed enough on the iPhone for navigation. Problem: the elevation on contour lines is not legible. Of course any PDF file could be accessed. For example an Excel file could be printed as a PDF, uploaded and accessed. Useful for packing list, etc. I don't know what apps are available for Blackberry or Android that provide similar functions. But. On a computer at home, the file could be saved as a JPEG or PNG format and uploaded to the smartphone photo gallery. If an application doesn't allow export as an image, a screenshot could suffice.

With Internet access, the options multiply. For example, PDF, Excel, Word, and other file types could be uploaded using FTP to a website and accessed through a browser. I know this works on an iPhone, and I think it likely it would work on other smartphones.

GPS tracks and waypoints can be uploaded and accessed using a number of apps on an iPhone. After evaluating six apps, I settled on MotionX GPS. I don't know if it is the best or not. I'll write about it since it is what I know. I have uploaded all of Halfmile's tracks of the PCT and imported map tiles for areas surrounding the trail. I have not tested this. Theoretically this will allow me to see a track against a map background without Internet access, locate myself relative to the trail and navigate to the trail. I think this might be most useful, if at all, in the Sierra snow. Again, I have not tested this. One big problem is backing up the iPhone to iTunes after the uploads. It takes a long time: overnight. Suggestion: turn Airplane Mode on, disable calendar alerts. This is to prevent interruptions to the backup process and the need to restart. I have just begun to work on waypoints. I am uploading Halfmile's waypoints to my GPX processing software: Garmin BaseCamp, selecting the points I want, and renaming them using a convention handy to me: mileage and common use name. I also am changing the avatars to generic so that the waypoints line up solely by mileage.

That's all I can think of now.
Walk well. God is love. J J
jj

Postby tskye » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:08 pm

JJ-I'm impressed with your knowledge. I hve the iPhone, the HalfMile maps downloaded into it, and the Motion GPS app-but I have no clue how to get the halfmile maps connected to the Motion Gps and put in waypoints. This may be too much to teach via e-mail, so I hope you're going to be at kickoff.
Thanks,
Skyward
Teresa
tskye

Kickoff

Postby jj » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:56 pm

tskye wrote:so I hope you're going to be at kickoff.

Tskye,

See you there. What are you using for a charger?
jj

Postby leaftye » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Have you considered solar? I've been planning to use it for my AA batteries. Maybe I'll dump my old one, which is surely very inefficient if I could only find the specs to confirm, and get a newer one. I like the price and features of the Powerfilm AA/USB charger.

http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/01/ ... power.html
Sir Mix-a-lot
www.eugeneleafty.com
leaftye

Charger for iPhone

Postby jj » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:55 pm

I ordered this from amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QF ... ss_product

Cheap. I'll test it when it arrives to see if it's all I need. There are getting to be a lot of options.
jj

Return to Gadgets