Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Review > Backpack > Granite Gear Virga

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Review > Backpack > Granite Gear Virga

Postby mule » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:02 am

Quick description: Not afraid to make a mod? Travel light? I recommend this pack.

Long description: For the backpacker with a light, but not ultralight mentality the Granite Gear Virga should be taken into serious consideration when purchasing a new backpack. It dwells in a class with only a handful of other packs on the market that fall into the 1 lb. frameless category. I have spent the past year thoroughly researching and purchasing other packs all of which I've turned around and sold in an attempt at getting just-the-right-one. The Virga is my latest test and in my initial opinion am very pleased. Firstly I highly suggest Moosejaw as an outfitter for a number of reasons. Price: met or undersold all competitors by around 10%. Service: Excellent communication with a touch of added humor that is uncommon in the e-commerce world. Packaging: They re-use boxes and are proud - being "green" I'm very happy to see this. Upon receiving the pack I opened it to find a slick pack with an absolute MESS of straps. I will be taking this pack on one or two test trips and then start to hack off any and all extra material that isn't absolutely necessary to it's function. I estimate I can remove between 3 and 6 ounces of unecessary material. Set-up is easy. I dropped my closed-cell foam pad inside, placed sleeping bag, clothes, ditty, stove, dromendary, kitchen and food sack in their respective order, compressed everything down (the straps are excellent for this) and shouldered the pack. The shoulder straps are very comfortable although I question whether or not they might rub against my neck too much. The sternum strap is adjustable up and down which is key for me and many other hikers. The webbing used as a hip belt is minimal but more than functional for the lightweight fanatic. In my initial tests I report this to be a quality product that only needs minimal modification. The price is affordable and for me it is a plus that this is a product designed and tested in my home state of Minnesota.
mule

Re: Review > Backpack > Granite Gear Virga

Postby Gorp-Gobbler » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:52 am

I was getting ready to ask if anyone has used a Granite Gear Pack. This has been very helpful. Thank you.
Sometimes Easy, Sometimes Difficult, but Always Good....(James Rutter: AT Thru-Hiker)
Gorp-Gobbler

Postby Mack-Pack » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:50 pm

I have had this pack for two years, And I am doing the Oregon section PCT with it this summer. LOVEIt!!!!
Mack-Pack

Postby Gorp-Gobbler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:18 am

Thanks for the "Feedback", I sure appreciate it. I know we have at least one store here in Columbus, OH that sells Granite Gear Packs, so I should be able to get properly fitted, even though I may make the actual purchase somewhere where I can save some $$$. Thanks again and good luck on your PCT hike through Oregon.
Sometimes Easy, Sometimes Difficult, but Always Good....(James Rutter: AT Thru-Hiker)
Gorp-Gobbler

Postby Gorp-Gobbler » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:27 am

Granite Gear has discontinued making their "Virga", but the "Crown V.C. 60" looks like a good one to take it's place.
Gorp-Gobbler

Return to Gear Review