Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Are hammocks practical on the PCT?

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Are hammocks practical on the PCT?

Postby soccrosse » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:24 pm

I just finished the AT, starting the journey with a tarp tent but converted over to a hammock. The hammock provided the most comfortable sleep I have ever had in the outdoors. I am planning a PCT hike next year but from what I have seen it looks like a hammock may not be practical until after the Sierras. Any thoughts would be helpful.
soccrosse

practical hammock

Postby barbecue » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:37 am

looks like no one wanted to touch this with a 10 foot pole... I'm bringing my hammock. never have thru hiked though. done a bit of desert hiking, and I expect I'll be going to ground from time to time. Still whenever theres something to hang from, I'm hangin. Hope you have a great hike.
the journey is the destination
barbecue

Postby abela » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:42 pm

A few folks have thru-hiked the PCT including two or three in 2010. I know of 4 or 5 that are going to try doing it here in 2011, however they are all also prepared to go-to-ground with their gear.

The primary issue is with weight.

When you factor in the weight of a TQ and an UQ it makes it rather illogical to carry that much weight. While there are ways we can get around not using a UQ for most of the trip, in the colder regions they are just about going to be necessary as only the very tough are able to get down into the sub-20's without an UQ - even with a double layer hammock and using a pad.

I gave it a whole lot of consideration and in the end I was just not able to get an acceptable base pack weight - and that was even after having a custom cuben fiber hammock and cuben fiber tarp and cuben fiber TQ/UQ made for me. No matter what I tried I was just not able to get anywhere near my normal 5 pound base weight, so, as much as I love to hang, I gave it up for thru-hiking.
abela

Postby outpost » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:41 am

i thrud in 2010, and the two people i camped with with hammocks both regretted it.

one ended up just sleeping on the ground; the other said he had to take a lot of 'lay up' days in the dessert to make sure he had trees.

i've never done it myself, but after seeing people on the trail hating it, i would comfortably say to give it MUCH thought before committing to something so far outside normal... especially if it's your first thru.

...i dont know of anyone who's ever used a hammock on their SECOND pct attempt or thru... and that speaks volumes.
outpost

Return to Gear Review