Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Preferences? Six Moon Lunar Solo Vs. Tarptent Contrail

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Preferences? Six Moon Lunar Solo Vs. Tarptent Contrail

Postby Elwood » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:36 am

Any inputs as to which tent would be a better choice? They both look good online! The Lunar Solo looks taller, & easier to get in & out of. The Contrail is about $35 cheaper & includes the stakes. How about ease of set-up?
Elwood

Postby kschmidt » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:50 pm

As someone who has used each tent. I prefer the Lunar solo.

advantages:

Lunar Solo:
-Sit up into highest part of tent.
-more mesh window in nice but buggy weather
-possibly better wind deflection
-Huge floor space

Contrail:

-tallest part of tent is above face when sleeping
-might be faster setup
-smaller footprint

I haven't been in heavy rain in the Contrail.

I borrowed a Contrail to hike the Tahoe Rim Trail two years ago and it was fine. I had some of my stakes blown out on a windy night. Now i own a Lunar Solo and I plan to use it for my PCT hike next year. It really has a ton of room inside and I like the ability to open half the tent when it is buggy. More stars gets my vote. I like the huge amount of floor space, it is definately nicer when you guy out the tent fabric above your face.
kschmidt

Postby Elwood » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:32 am

Thanks for the response! I was hoping to hear from someone who's used both tents, very informative! The one thing that bothers me about the Contrail, is the pole being right in the middle of the narrow opening! One other tent I'm looking at is the LightHeart Solo, it's compairable to the other two, does anyone have any input on this tent?
Elwood

Re: Preferences? Six Moon Lunar Solo Vs. Tarptent Contrail

Postby Nickkkk » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:55 pm

Just to update this thread with a recent post. I have a Luna and it's great for all the reasons Kschmidt stated. Only downside is it is not double walled or free standing.
Nickkkk

Re: Preferences? Six Moon Lunar Solo Vs. Tarptent Contrail

Postby wonchal » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:47 am

I am so happy I read this. I have been contemplating a purchase of the lunar ...now I'm definitely convinced.
wonchal

Return to Gear Review