Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

socks

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

socks

Postby stumble and fall » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Anyone have experience using gore tex or similar socks for the rainy north?
stumble and fall

Postby Swope » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:55 am

Goretex/waterproof socks can be useful in snow.

They will not keep your feet dry while hiking all day in the rain. Basically, nothing will keep your feet dry while hiking all day in the rain.

I find it's much more important making sure that I can get my feet dry at night than it is to keep them dry during the day.
Swope

Postby jgar15 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:16 am

I have no experience with goretex socks, I went wool all the way but one fancy trick I did when it was really wet, or I wanted to avoid freezing feet in the snow was I had a ripped garbage bag that I put between my socks and my wet shoes. I worked very well. I assume goretex socks would work, but wearing a liner with them may make it more comfortable and decrease the risk of blisters.
jgar15

Goretex socks

Postby QiWiz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:44 pm

I used Rocky Goretex socks on rainy days on the AT while wearing mesh trail runners. At the end of the day, liner and hiking socks were damp but not wetted out (presumably mostly from perspiration) and would dry from body heat overnight without difficulty if I wanted to wear them another day. I put them over my shoulders under my base layer while sleeping to dry them. I would use GT socks again as I get really bad blisters if my feet get wet and pruny.
I've heard Andy Skurka talk about using a coating on his feet called Hydropel in wet weather. It's expensive, but he's got A LOT of long distance hiking experience, so worth trying it.
Keep it light! . . . . . QiWiz (aka Qi Wiz)
Check out the lightest cathole trowels,
buck saws, and wood burning stoves on
the planet @ www.QiWiz.net
QiWiz

Return to Gear Review