Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Ultralight hiking shirt?

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Ultralight hiking shirt?

Postby markv » Mon May 28, 2012 11:30 am

I've always worn a long-sleeve base layer t-shirt for all my hikes. It's somewhere around 4-5 oz. It works except for 2 things: since it's very thin and sticks to the skin, mosquitos bite right through it; and it looks pretty terrible. I know that looks don't matter, and i never give it a 2nd thought on my own. But my wife is going to be doing more long trails with me this year and next, and she thinks i look like hell wearing basically this undershirt.

While thru-hiking the PCT i saw most everyone wearing sharp long-sleeve button-down shirts like probably by Ex-Officio or something. I've been looking up shirts like this, but i can't find anything that comes in at under 7 oz. I'm not willing to add weight to what i'm used to, but i'm wondering if anyone can recommend a shirt like that that falls into the 4-5 oz. range.
markv

Re: Ultralight hiking shirt?

Postby Rocco » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:57 pm

I believe the railriders shirts are pretty darn light but I'm really not sure on their exact specs. I just use a columbia longsleeve sun shirt but its more in the 8-9 oz range. Its on me pretty much all the time so technically its not pack weight and its pretty mosquito proof and comfy. Watch out tho... these shirts get REALLY smelly in my experience... ymmv
Rocco

Re: Ultralight hiking shirt?

Postby Ripcord » Tue May 21, 2013 12:12 pm

I wear an ExOfficio Baja Shirt, long sleeve, repels bugs, dries quickly, has always kept me very cool. Problem is, they're expensive ($99).
Ripcord

Return to Gear Review