Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

2014 NOBO GEAR HELP

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

2014 NOBO GEAR HELP

Postby Rocco » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 pm

I'm going to be finishing high school early next year (hopefully), and am going to be attempting a PCT NOBO Thru hike starting in April. I have a couple years of backpacking experience and tons of Canada back country week long canoe trips under my belt. I'm not new to the gear thing and I've been fine tuning my systems on geargrams.com. I just wanted to post it up here and get some wisdom on my setup from those who have done the trail. Thanks in advance!

Gear List
TOTAL PACK WEIGHT 7.5 pounds

Items that may (or need) be added : give advice please
-baclava
-alcohol stove or woodburning stove? Im planning on fires twice a week for warm meals and then just cold the rest of the week
- sunglasses . . . probably a must
-running shorts
-Compass, gps?, maps

GEAR ON PERSON
Columbia long sleeve sun shirt
REI Convertible lightweight hiker pants ( found at thrift store 9 bucks brand new!)
Trail runners
polypro liner socks
Wool blend socks
Columbia sun hat
Black diamond flick lock trekking poles

THE PACK
Mora Clipper knife 3.90oz
Bic Lighter 0.74oz
Headnet tools 0.64oz
Black Diamond
headlamp Storm 4.40oz
Toilet paper 0.50oz
Personal Meds 1.27oz
First Aid/Hygiene/repair kit 3.27oz
Ridgrest 3/4 length- doubles as pack frame 9oz
SMD Wild Oasis With gossamer gear ground cloth and 6 titanium stakes 17.30oz
Bleach 1oz
cook stuff sack 0.91oz
Gatorade 1L bottlesx2 3oz
Golite rain jacket 7oz
Blend Socks 2.4 oz
Granite Gear VC Crown pack with out frame- using ridgrest as frame 29.58oz
Homeade DIY Synthetic quilt- rated to 30 degrees 15 oz
nano pack Towel 0.80oz
Columbia Fleece 8oz
garbage bag pack liner 1oz
Golite Beanie clothing 2.50oz overkill?
Golite Thinsulate Gloves 3.50oz overkill?
Polypro liner socks .71 oz
IMUSA ALUMinum MUg.7 L 2.60oz
Rocco

Re: 2014 NOBO GEAR HELP

Postby jgar15 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:55 pm

I hiked the trail when I was 20 so it was somewhat of a similar situation, and I went into it with the same amount of experience as you, if not less. I also had a very tight budget. With that said, a few suggestions:
I started with an alcohol stove but then bought a jetboil because it is just so much more convenient and allows you to eat warm meals nightly with little sacrifice of time.
Sunglasses are a must, and maybe even an extra for the sierras. Snowblindness is the worst. They have roll up temporary ones at most eye doctors that would b a good backup in that section. You would be surprised at how easily things are lost.
It is a good idea to have a second lighter or another way to start a fire such as waterproof matches.
The glove and the had I would keep included because it is very easy to send thing home, and in the mornings it can get pretty chilly.
I hiked the whole trail in running/athletic shorts with just a pair of long underwear and light rain pants. This was a comfort thing, but many people enjoy hiking in the convertible pants, while others have some bad chaffing.
I didnt see duck tape on here. It is a must, and does not add to packweight if you wrap it around your trekking poles for easy access.
A compass is always good, but I just used the one on my watch.
The halfmile maps are the way to go and mail yourself a section or two at a time along the way.
You will probably go through 4 pairs of shoes so it is a good idea to have a rough plan of where to mail your new shoes to. I believe I did Augua Dulce, Mammoth, Ashland, and Cascade locks.
I did not use a gps in 2011, which was probably the biggest snowyear recently. I did get lost some and lost the trail frequently but never had too much of an issue with the help of halfmile maps. Many people do use a gps and really like the comfort it bring. But if you use one you have to worry about batteries.
Are you going to blog? on a phone? Journal?
Camera?
chapstick was pretty much a necessity, especially in the snow
Bandana was nice as well
Past that I think you will learn a lot about how you like to hike and what you want to have when you get a few miles/days under your belt. It is truly a great experience. Good luck and let me know of further questions.

-Legend
Check out all my traveling adventures and pictures at he link below
http://freeoutside.com/
jgar15

Postby Rocco » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Hey Legend! I believe I saw your video on YouTube if I'm not mistaken?
Yea Ive got the duck tape packed just forgot to list it. That's great info on the sunglasses I'll definetly bring a pair. I've hiked in my convertibles several times but never for more than three times.... Do you think hiking for longer/more intensely might cause chaffing?
Also, yes I am planning on trail runners but haven't decided on what kind to go with. I need to wait to buy them because my feet are still growing. I have good experience with lasportiva boots so I was thinking about getting their trail runners. I've also heard cascading and Roclite are good companies.

Did you sustain any long term overuse injuries such as Achilles strain, knee strain, back problems, plantar fasciatius? Just wondering because even at an early age my knees have problems from running/training. I just Wuld love advice on how to avoid injuries. Dont wanna lose all of the money and time I have invested because of a little injury.

Thanks so much for your help and maybe as I get closer to departure I could pick your brain some more!
Happy trails!
Rocco

Postby Rocco » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:56 pm

In regards to the convertible pants I meant I had never hiked in them for more than three days at a time
Rocco

Return to Gear Review