Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Ear plugs

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Ear plugs

Postby Corky Corcoran » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:41 pm

I've found <a href="http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=40605&catid=13837&trx=PLST-0-CAT&trxp1=13837&trxp2=40605&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-CAT">ear plugs</a> to be indispensable after a kind soul gave me some when waiting out a 4 day storm on Aconcagua. The wind made the tent seem like the inside of a very large, very poor speaker.

Since then I've carried them for use at night in storms, and around mobs, hordes, snorers, etc.

The best kind seem to be the molded soft foam types. The more rigid and easier to put in the less effective they can be. They're cheap, light and save lives.

Not sure if the forum will accept HTML, will try.
Corky
Poco Loco Solo Sobo Hobo
Corky Corcoran

Postby Jonnycat » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:48 pm

Man, you couldn't pay me to wear earplugs out in the woods; I prefer to be aware of my surroundings.

I could understand your desire for them around, "...mobs, hordes, snorers, etc." as you put it, but I stridently avoid these type of phenomena.
Jonnycat

Postby Corky Corcoran » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:46 pm

Generally agree. Don't like to wear earplugs myself, at all.

AND, trying to sleep in a tent in 80MPH winds is a challenge without them. The noise would be OK if it were steady, and it's not.

And I don't know where you resupply, but some of the places I've stayed overnight in have yer basic beer-drinking, harmonica-playing hordes. All nice people and great fun if yer one of 'em. And I have been. And even if you are one of 'em, but try to leave early - - - - .

Was on Aconcagua, stuck in weather, next to a woman and her boyfriend who had had stuff ferried up by their guide and some porters. She thought she was in a condo, apparently, and not a nylon tent. Chattered on and on and on to the poor bastard she was with about her pee bottle, her period, how much farther, how long, was it going to warm up, etc. Earplugs saved my freedom and her life.

Great things when ya need 'em. I'll have to leave the total experience of yer surroundings to those better able to handle them.
Corky
Poco Loco Solo Sobo Hobo
Corky Corcoran

Postby Klondike » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:34 pm

Slice up those yellow foam ones and they make great fish bait as well
Klondike

Postby juma » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:49 pm

the best I've seen are the winchester orange ones from walmart in the gun stuff section.
juma

Winchester Orange

Postby THF2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Totally agree with you Jurna.

I've used those in my motorcycle adventures across the country, and they've helped the long days riding with the sometimes harsh wind slapping your eardrums...and also at night when you're trying to bed down in a public campground, or in a spot with a ton of big rigs idling all night. The Winchester orange lets you carry a couple sets, set aside some in resupply boxes, etc., due to their light weight and cheapness.

Also, traveling Europe with a bunch of snoring folks...dealing with jet-lag...and the excitement of being in a new place. Ear plugs are awesome.

I prefer to hear the sounds of nature myself, but when the reality of hiking 20-30+ miles a day after sleeping like squat the night before makes itself an issue, I'm glad I have the earplugs for those (hopefully rare) nights when I need them.

Dug
http://thf2.wordpress.com
I'm hiking the PCT in 2011. Hit me up on my blog (where I'll be updating most of the time): http://thf2.wordpress.com. YouTube: "ThruHike4Freedom"
THF2

Return to Gear Review