Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Sun Hat for Hiking

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Sun Hat for Hiking

Postby SunnyWalker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:56 pm

I have just bought my second SunBody.com hat here at Pampa at Waynes Western World (Pampa, TX). These hats are handmade from Palm leaves in a third world country. They are not part of a billion dollar corporation or something like that. The nature of the palm leaf is that you wet the hat and then shape it to your liking. It dries and is soft as a feather and retains the shape. Water does not hurt these hats! Rain will not come through them. They are awesome for hot weather or desert or in-the-sun hiking. Unlike these expensive hats that these hiking and camping businesses sell this cost me $23.99! There are more then one style and I purchase the big "western" type I guess. I keep the brim flat so it keeps more sun off my head and neck. I have air holes put in the side, and holes for a string (leather) type lanyard so I can keep it on my head in the wind. I think they beat any oregon brand or North Face or whatever brand and so recommend them to you. :D
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" -Rudyard Kipling
SunnyWalker

Re: Sun Hat for Hiking

Postby SunnyWalker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:06 pm

The only problem I had with this had while on the CDT was that while down near the border (read within 150 miles of border in NM) I had a real hard time hitch hiking. When wearing this hat you kind of look like a person coming up from the border (illegal alien). So people would just go by real fast. -SunnyWalker :wink:
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" -Rudyard Kipling
SunnyWalker

Return to Gear Review