Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Talking Gear

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Talking Gear

Postby Scout9801 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:14 am

I am looking for some information about what kind of gear I should carry to hike the Appalachian Trail. The gear I have now currently weighs 30 LBS. I'm trying to go ultralight before I go on a week long hike to get ready for a thru-hike when I get out of the Army. If anyone has any ideas please message me and let me know. I love to share my ideas on gear and get ideas in return. Let's talk gear!

Jamie "Scout" Roe
Jamie "Scout" Roe
Scout9801

Re: Talking Gear

Postby Gorp-Gobbler » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:07 am

Hi Scout9801,
I've been doing a lot of investigation on gear also. If you care to see some of the things I've found out please check out my trailjournals.com site.
Sometimes Easy, Sometimes Difficult, but Always Good....(James Rutter: AT Thru-Hiker)
Gorp-Gobbler

Postby SunnyWalker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:03 pm

Hey Scout, start with your big items: Pack, Sleeping Bag (system), Shelter.
For example, I changed my 9 lb pack for one that is slightly over 2 lbs. Then my shelter went from a heavy tent to a lightweight tarp and/or tent. Then sleeping bag- I went with a lightweight down bag.

Next consider your stove if you are going to cook. I suggest a alcohol stove as you said you wish to go real light. Check out the Caldera Cone.

Tarps: SixMoon Designs.

Sleeping bag: REI, or Western Mountaineering, etc.

For reviews on everything or to shop check out REI.com

-SunnyWalker :lol:
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" -Rudyard Kipling
SunnyWalker

Postby Soggybottom » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:07 pm

My big 3 are from zpacks. I have the hexamid duplex and am ordering the 20 degree down bag and arc blast 50L pack. I would recommend this highly.
Soggybottom

Return to Gear Review