Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Which tent size on the PCT?

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Which tent size on the PCT?

Postby gereon » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:57 am

Hi all

I'm going to do the PCT next year with my girlfriend and currently I'm about to buy a tent for us two. As the tents are so light weight nowadays we want to buy a 3 person tent.
There are two (or three) left for my decision.

1. Nordisk Oppland 3 LW
2. Nemo Losi LS 3P (or Dagger 3P)

One of the biggest concerns is, that the Oppland is too big to set it up in all places (440cm x 160cm / 173in x 63in). But I would save the weight for an extra tarp, which is great.
The Losi has a squarish floor (230cm x 198cm / 90in x 78in) and is a bit more space saving I guess. And I like the self standing tent and that you can have it without the fly.

Will it be a struggle to setup a big tent like the Oppland or is there usually enough space for such a tent? If so, I would rather go with this one.

Thanks for helping me!
gereon

Re: Which tent size on the PCT?

Postby jgar15 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:44 pm

I would say that there shouldnt be too much issue with the larger tent, and it is nice to have the added room. In thru hiking the pacific crest trail you are already hiking enough miles to to be able to pick out the spot that will work to camp for you. I hiked the trail in 2011 by myself and used a 2 person tent. Having the ability to store all my gear in my tent was nice especially when the rain would come. Overall the bigger tent is the route I would go after two thru hikes since it is going to be your home for a few months. Check out my blog if you want to see a lot of gear trial by fire: jgar15.blogspot.com I have come a long ways.
Check out all my traveling adventures and pictures at he link below
http://freeoutside.com/
jgar15

Return to Gear Review