Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Caution: "Grease Pot" for Cooking

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Caution: "Grease Pot" for Cooking

Postby postholer » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:34 pm

Many hikers out there have used the Walmart/KMart grease pot for cooking on the trail. Consider the following.

Unhardened or untreated aluminum cookware is banned in all but 6 countries in the world.

Extended periods of aluminum leaching into your food can cause a slew of problems in the human body.

If you were a manufacturer of a "grease pot", what would be cheaper, putting a sticky label saying "Grease Pot" or stamping "Grease Pot" into the metal? Using a cheap sticky label would probably be more cost effective.

The fact that it's stamped "Grease Pot" should speak volumes.

Though it's light and cheap, you may get a bit more than you bargained for from extended use.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby lacrose » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:32 am

I bought a 'grease pot' at Walmart in 2009 that is obviously stainless steel for about $7. Guess they changed from aluminum?

Non magnetic Stainless steel alloys are extensively used, particularly in food processing ... the common non-magnetic grades such as 316 (SN58J) and 304L (EN58E). ... Curiously the curled over rim of the pot is
weakly magnetic.

As an experiment I found out that a magnet will stick to about half of the spoons/forks and butter knives in our kitchen. They all are stainless steel
but apparently the addition of nickel will make any steel non magnetic
but still food safe as it strengthens corrosion resistance.

Anyway...
Punched 2 small holes on opposite sides of the pot rim and added a wire loop handle to ease carrying it from the stream back to camp. Built a
Caldera Clone and alcohol stove for it. Works fine and its dirt cheap.
Unlike my titanium pot this one is not in any danger of being squashed
flat if you drop your pack the wrong way.

http://www.fantes.com/stainless-steel.html

http://www.finishing.com/156/89.shtml

http://kptmetal.co.in/specification.html
lacrose

Postby mister4x5 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:39 pm

I checked out the Wal-Mart grease pot a few weeks ago and it is not stainless steel, it is a low, soft grade aluminum.

I'm sure that it is a grease pot and not a cooking pot for a reason. Do yourself and your future kids a favor and do not use this item for cooking.

If you are still unsure, email Wal-Mart and ask them if they recommend the grease pot for cooking. :roll:
mister4x5

Postby lacrose » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:41 pm

I apologize for saying the Walmart pot I bought was a grease pot although
it has similar dimensions.

Mine is definitely stainless steel and is 'not' labeled (stamped)
'grease pot'. I went to Walmart to buy one and saw something that resembled it and just bought it thinking this will work. I tossed the plastic lid.

And I agree do not cook in any aluminum walmart grease pot.
Just like everyone I can tell the difference between stainless steel and aluminum cooking pots.

Here's the setup I made to cook with it.
Last edited by lacrose on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lacrose

Postby postholer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:28 pm

lacrose wrote:Here's the setup I made to cook with it.

Nice setup!

A gram weenie might suggest you remove the cup, bowl and use foil for a wind guard.

Besides weight savings, having only a pot and spoon to clean lessens your chances of getting sick in less than ideal cleanliness situations, as both are heated before each use.

Using foil allows you to flatten your wind screen for easy stowage inside your pot with your stove and spoon, with no performance hit. Even after many folds and daily use, it will be fine.

Looks great!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby mister4x5 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:36 am

Hey Lacrose,

Do not worry about it, we all make mistakes, at least you corrected your error.

Nice homemade cook setup, it should work out fine for you. Maybe it's a little heavy than need be for a long distance hike. How much does it all weigh?

My cook setup weighs only 475 grams (less than 1lb. 1oz) which includes an alcohol stove, wind screen, 640ml pot without cover, 1400ml pot with a "fry pan" cover, pot cozy, stuff sack and a long handle spoon. I guess I could dump the fry pan cover to lighten the load but I want to keep it for now.

I'm sure that your setup cost less than mine (which is a good thing) but I'm trying to keep things as light as possible. Come to think of it, my wallet is feeling a little bit lighter lately. :wink:

I would like to post a photo of my setup for you but I don't know how. Can you help me with that?

Thanks,
Mister4x5
mister4x5

Postby lacrose » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:14 pm

mister4x5
Yup its a little heavy. I made a second Caldera Cone rig for a 2.0oz REI 0.9L titanium pot I have. Lighter. And various sized bottles for the alcohol fuel depending on how many meals.

I like the Walmart one because it'll cook a whole mac-n-cheese without getting too full to stir as it cooks. Food in the dirt is such a sin!

To post pictures to forums you need to upload the photo first to any of the free and numerous image hosting web sights which turn it into a
code
which you must copy
then paste
to the forum you want the picture to appear in.

the code will look something
like this[I*MG]ht*tp://i53.tinypic.com/10yg1gyu.jpg[/I*MG]and
that you will paste into the message box with your message.

cheers
lacrose
lacrose

Postby mister4x5 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Lacrose,

I figured that the photos had to be hosted outside the forum. I'll post the photo as soon as I take it, maybe tomorrow.

I have an Evernew .9L Ti tall pot but it is a little small for a good sized meal to be cooked up in it so I'll be leaving it at home for my PCT hike. Like you say, "food in the dirt is such a sin", especially when you wanted it in your stomach. :lol:

I'll get back later,
Mister4x5
mister4x5

pot cozy

Postby Wanderindot » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:48 pm

I'm not psyched about cooking in alum either. A pot cozy can really help. You boil water, remove from heat and put in your insulated pot cozy, add your dehydrated food and let it sit, keeps it hot and simmers it.

http://wanderingdot.wordpress.com/2011/ ... ng-system/
Wanderindot

Postby Jonnycat5000 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:07 pm

I use the 3 cup anodized aluminum pot from anti gravity gear. Additionally, all of my cooking (oatmeal and dinner) are done with FBC (freezer bag cooking), so all I ever use the pot for is boiling the water.
Jonnycat5000

Stanco better than Walmart grease pot

Postby QiWiz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:30 pm

The Stanco pot (get online or maybe at Kmart if you are lucky) has the advantage of a turned OUT lip, which makes it work better with pot grippers and fit well with a matched Caldera Cone alcohol stove. Holds a little more than 4 cups of water and heats faster than titanium at a fifth of the cost.

It is aluminum, so if that concerns you, get the $$$ titanium pot.
Keep it light! . . . . . QiWiz (aka Qi Wiz)
Check out the lightest cathole trowels,
buck saws, and wood burning stoves on
the planet @ www.QiWiz.net
QiWiz

Return to Gear Review