Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

New Ultralight Thermarests even lighter

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

New Ultralight Thermarests even lighter

Postby wanderinglump » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:01 pm

Just to let fellow thru-hikers know......Thermarest has lightened up their Prolite pads. The full length 72"x20x1 is now only 16oz and the 3/4th pad is only 11oz. The company dropped the Prolite 3&4 names and went with Prolite and P. Plus for women(warmer). In addition, they now have a new half pad(36") at only 8oz! Thats the one I got for my trip. I can say its better than my old 9oz torso pad from Pacific Outdoors. With pads this light technology is closing the gap in weight to making foam pads obsolete. Of course foam will always be aound given its much cheaper. I hope this helps in lightening your pack.
wanderinglump

Manufacturer Link

Postby 559Josh » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:37 am

http://thermarest.com/product_selection.aspx?cID=1

I realize that these have only been available for days/weeks now but has anyone yet USED these? Any remarks on the New vs Old?
559Josh

new thermarest

Postby sobohobo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:34 am

the new thermarests are awesome; I just got a neoair and while I have no clue how these new guys hold up, they function well and are incredible compact. I would mos def recommend.
Not all who are lost wander...
sobohobo

Postby Jonnycat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:38 am

I wish I could still use a thermarest, but I need my 2.5" of cushion from my insulated air mattress (still using my maxthermo from pacific outdoor).
Jonnycat

NeoAir IS thick...

Postby omullis » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:39 am

Johnnycat,

The ThermArest NeoAir is a 2.5" thick lightweight inflating mattress with an R-value of 2.5. 20"x66" (medium) comes in at 13 oz, full-size (20"x72") is 14 oz.
omullis

Sleeping pads.....

Postby karmagurl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:49 pm

I have tried the Thermarests in several configurations and in the end, since I like to stay warm and sleep well at nite, and am a side sleeper, I decided to try the Exped7 downmat.

They come in full size, oversize and 3/4 size. Weight isn't too bad for a sleeping pad, and even includes a pump to blow it up!~ U can use the carry bag for a pillow or a waterproof compression bag if you choose not to use it for the pad itself.

Peace Hikers!
KarmaGurl
The more I know, the more I know I don't.
karmagurl

Postby abela » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:56 pm

As a side sleeper and an all-night roller I found the best option was to go with the NeoAir Large (yes, the large) and than whack off the bottom 2/3rds of it.

This leaves me with a neck to hip pad that is wide enough to roll over and not fall off the pad - something I just cannot do on the other size NeoAir's.

And the best part is that it weighs less than the NeoAir small.

This combined with my GG ThinLight 1/8th and I have a sub 7-ounce sleeping system.

This allows me the ability/opportunity to remain under a 5lb BPW and yet have a 30-degree bag + system, for just under 30 total ounces.

This is also a total sleeping system - with a higher r-value than the Exped7 - at a few ounces lighter than just the Exped7 by itself. Something to consider.
abela

Re: New Ultralight Thermarests even lighter

Postby Rocco » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:10 pm

abela,
Isnt that uncomfortable having a 2.5 inch drop at your hip? I could see maybe halfway down your thigh or something. . . I know that works on a thin foam pad cuz thats what I do. Just wondering
Rocco

Re: New Ultralight Thermarests even lighter

Postby AlpineKevin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:22 pm

I spend over 30 minutes at REI trying to like the NeoAir but I just couldn't. I deflated it about 6 times and it still felt firm. In addition you are high up like a mattress but it is narrow for me (I have big wide shoulders and chest) so my arms would just dangle down off the sides which was not comfortable at all. I ended up going with a ThermaRest Prolite which my 240lb self feels is comfortable.
AlpineKevin

Return to Gear Review