Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Shelter footprint material

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Shelter footprint material

Postby fireweed » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:39 am

:?:
Hey--what are people using for footprint material for their shelters? The regular footprints seem too heavy and expensive. Can other materials be used?
fireweed

Postby Oudeis » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:43 pm

One option is Gossamer Gear's Polycro. Your final weight will Depend on how you cut it down to size, but it comes as a 40 x 96 in. sheet and is 43 grams. As a comparison, the Equinox "ultralight" ground cloth is essentially the same square footage, but weighs in at about 135 grams.

Good luck.

Rich
Oudeis

footprint material

Postby Mango » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:20 pm

I used Tyvek on the AT and thought it did okay. I have a new tent and a new piece of Tyvek, but it weighed in at 11 oz. after cutting to size. I too am looking for something lighter, but it needs to resist cactus spines for the PCT. All suggestions will be appreciated.
Mango
Mango

Postby jimboat » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:59 am

I have used Kite Tyvek before and it is quite a bit lighter than standard Tyvek. Just Google Kite Tyvek

I used my Contrail without any ground cover on the AT. Is that not recommended on the PCT due to prickly plants?
jimboat

Postby Mango » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:08 am

Jimboat,
Thanks for the tip. I'll look it up. My concern on the PCT isn't so much a hole in the tent floor as it is the air mattress. I have one of the new Neo's and want to keep it inflated.
Mango
Mango

Postby lacrose » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:06 am

A simple modification that adds a startling degree of warmth is to layer
a disposable space blanket onto whatever ground sheet you choose.

. Use canned spray on adhesive -3M or similar-

Swear its like adding another sleeping pad
without the weight. It acts as an IR barrier to stop heat loss to the ground.

Got the idea from NASA spacesuit design - and its a lot cheaper than
a $30 million vac suit. ie $4 for adhesive and $3 for the space blanket
lacrose

"Polycro" & similar plastic

Postby 300winmag » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:28 am

On BPL it's often been posted that heat-shrink window wrap is the same stuff as Polycro. I bought some wrap from Lowe's and, true enough, it is tougher than painter's plastic drop cloths. BUT... I discovered that any jagged edge from cutting is very prone to tear.

Then I remembered the wrap came with a roll of narrow tape so I looked at it and discovered it was double-sided tape, and very tough. So I taped all sides of my TT Moment's footprint by placing tape 1/2" in from the edges and folding the edges over to form a taped hem. This solved the problem! :)

But I will also look at Tyvek Kite material. I just don't like the way Tyvek picks up dirt so easily.

Eric
"There are no comfortable backpacks, only packs that are less uncomfortable than others."
300winmag

Re: Shelter footprint material

Postby Rocco » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:04 pm

Just got my Gossamer Gear polycro groundsheet. Looks a little flimsy IMO. Its cheap but all it really is is one of those shrink wrap plastic stuff you get at a hardware store. Tyvek is way too heavy. . . at least the stuff I got. The polycro gets exceptional reviews for durability so im gonna try it out.
Rocco

Return to Gear Review