Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Poop shovel?

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Poop shovel?

Postby Julianne » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:27 pm

What do folks carry for burying poop? i've got a u-dig-it and it is fabulous, could dig to china with it, however, it is weighty.... i am an LNT hiker so want to 'do the right thing'. Thanks.
Julianne

Postby norcallama » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:58 am

We use a Plastic garden trowel
norcallama

Postby Miner » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:38 pm

I've used the Montbell Handy scoop for the past 2years, including the PCT. Lighterweight then the comon orange plastic shovel and it's metal so it doesn't break when you are trying to dig in dirt with a concrete like hardness.

I bought mine here, but other places sell it online.
http://www.prolitegear.com/pl_montbell_handyscoop.html
Miner

Postby norcallama » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:58 pm

Ya Know that plastic garden trowl from OSH is the deal small easy to pack and easy to clean and keep clean and they come in so many diffrent colors
norcallama

Cathole Digger

Postby Gig » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:26 am

I used a vargo ultralight nail stake (0.3 oz). The ground is hard in many places, especially the sierras. The nail stake can be banged in with a rock to actually get down deep. It's small enough that it can scrape around and under roots. Plus does double duty as a tent stake.

As for plastic trowels, getting 6 in down in hard dirt, as opposed to my soft garden soil, was nearly impossible for me. Means you have to search for the perfect spot.
Gig

Debate Rages on

Postby norcallama » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Yep its all about that perfect spot, In the treeless confines of hard granite one can only hope that that your not stuck by lightning while the committee between your ears rages on about the most eco. friendly way to cover your tracks..... bag it and drag it.
norcallama

Trekking poles

Postby Erik The Black » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:21 pm

I've always found that the tip of my trekking pole works fine for digging cat-holes (and it doesn't weigh anything extra).
-------------------------------------------
Erik The Black
Pacific Crest Trail Atlas 2nd Edition
New! Pacific Crest Trail Maps
Erik The Black

Postby Kung Fu » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:48 am

I would use a stick or a rock, or sometimes, a bootheal! Why carry extra weight?
Kung Fu!
Kung Fu

Postby Yurt Man » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:13 pm

I am taking a 10" aluminum snow tent stake that will double as the front stake for my Lunar Solo tent. If it isn't too windy, the tent stays up just fine for the few minutes I might be away digging a hole. It works infinitely better than the end of a trekking pole.
Yurt Man
Yurt Man

thanks

Postby Julianne » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:37 pm

thanks for all the comments.
Julianne

Postby norcallama » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:09 am

Well I think its time to move this groups discussion to higher ground if everybody is in concurrence with this I would like to change the topic to the one thing that will shut down a trip quicker then then the lack of a roll of costco"s finest..... your feet and what you wrap around them.... yes the boot the one thing dare i say carries the whole load... including the poop shovel :lol:
norcallama

Postby Jonnycat5000 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:10 pm

Yurt Man wrote:I am taking a 10" aluminum snow tent stake that will double as the front stake for my Lunar Solo tent. If it isn't too windy, the tent stays up just fine for the few minutes I might be away digging a hole. It works infinitely better than the end of a trekking pole.

I use a snow peg as well. I find most of the technique in digging a hole to be a stabbing motion, since you want a deep hole, which a snow peg excels at. Plus it only weighs an ounce.

BTW, this is the one I use: http://www.rei.com/product/358111/smc-sno-tent-stake
Jonnycat5000

If you want the lightest cathole trowel, an easy choice . .

Postby QiWiz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:25 pm

between the Original and the Big Dig, of course

see em at www.QiWiz.net

a favorite of long and short distance backpackers the world over

Can you dig it?
Keep it light! . . . . . QiWiz (aka Qi Wiz)
Check out the lightest cathole trowels,
buck saws, and wood burning stoves on
the planet @ www.QiWiz.net
QiWiz

shovel

Postby jgar15 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:46 pm

There is no need for a shovel or a trowel. Either use your heel, trekking pole or tent stake to dig holes. It will save you weight that you will appreciate a ways down the trail.
jgar15

Re: Poop shovel?

Postby SunnyWalker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Yep, check out QiWiz's product! Best poophole scooper available! :mrgreen:
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" -Rudyard Kipling
SunnyWalker

Next

Return to Gear Review