Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Stove Stove Stoves

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Stove Stove Stoves

Postby norcallama » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:03 pm

the Jet boil stove has proved it capabilities this weekend easy to start push button ignition and boils water in a flash the only problem is removing the cook cup from the heating element takes a little work best to have it on a flat and stable surface but after a short learning curve you can pour with the element attached to the cup with no problem. Fuel consumption was slight for the speed it boils water. weight and pack ability are good, will get a better clue on fuel use as the year progresses to the 2011 jump off. other stoves have also been suggested and will look into them also have a small folding solar reflector my son got me that is supose to boil water in ten minutes so i will report on that. Hope all you nordic stick skimmers and anti snow sinking web footers had fun this weekend in Tahoe.

I Just want to add to this that A couple of E-mails have suggested that even though the jet boil work for me this weekend Fuel will be an issue some one has suggested that if you have the capability of laying the fuel bottle on its side you can extract most of the fuel so stoves with a fuel lines are more advantages then fuel bottles that screw directly to the stove such as the Jet Boil...... fact or fiction

From a nameless South Shore Coffee Shop with WiFi
all who wander are not always lost
norcallama

Postby leaftye » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:10 pm

I hope that solar reflector stove isn't the same one as on the movie The Men Who Stare At Goats.

As for the Jetboil, I usually don't remove the stuff from the bottom until I'm ready to put it away. I only use it to boil water though.
Sir Mix-a-lot
www.eugeneleafty.com
leaftye

Stoves & Goats

Postby norcallama » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:17 am

Nope have not seen Men who stare at Goats but iI got to see it now just to see that solar reflector stove, no the one I have is a small parabolic shaped stand that has a black anodize titanium cup attached to it have not a sunny to test this baby yet, but would work to at least make a boil of ramen yumyum
norcallama

Postby lacrose » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:58 pm

Saw this wood burning stove that also will recharge a cell phone. Claims 10oz weight. Imagine yakking to all my friends for hours while in camp
as I slowly feed sticks in this stove to keep the charge going!

An integrated thermoelectric module runs a fan to force air into the chamber to make it burn clean and use less wood. Excess electricity can be
had via the USB plug on the side. No battery inside the thing Available spring 2011.

BioLite stove - small backpacker model and big home model for 3rd worlders.

http://www.biolitestove.com/CampStove_Trials.html

http://www.outdoorenthusiasts.co.uk/bio ... ing-stove/

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/011595.html
lacrose

Postby lacrose » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Looks like there are now 3 competing products to USB charge gadgets from various heat sources
Biolite camp stove - late Spring 2012 delivery -maybe?
The Power Pot - Early Summer 2012 delivery maybe?
and the
Hatsuden Nabe (roughly translated as electricity producing pan) which is
available and shipping from a US distributor. At 3 lbs its not ulta-lite gear!

http://theepicenter.com/power_sources_g ... eries.html

lacrose

Re: Stove Stove Stoves

Postby Wyethia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:58 pm

hi, I'm thinking of replacing our trusty Svea, but hard to get to a store that has more than one stove on display. Due to being in a rural area, I am not interested in canister stoves- too much trouble to get them around here. so white gas it is. second, the reason I am thinking of replacing the svea is that my hands aren't as steady as they were- so I am looking for something that has easy to use pump and controls- think about using the stove wearing two pairs of gloves, and you'll be in the ballpark on how my hands are on a cool morning. weight is not as important- just has to be reliable and easy for me to use. thanks! wyethia
Wyethia
Wyethia

Return to Gear Review