Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Hand/Toe warmers

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Hand/Toe warmers

Postby Kung Fu » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:58 pm

I am not sure this would count as a gear question, but here it is:

I have problems with keeping fingertips and toes warm in even slightly cold temps. On my 2009 PCT section hike I used the chemical hand and toe warmers when needed. The issue is that they only last a short while and they do add extra weight.

Anyone know of a better solution than packing all of those hand/toe warmers?
Kung Fu!
Kung Fu

Re: Hand/Toe warmers

Postby Gig » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Kung Fu wrote:I am not sure this would count as a gear question, but here it is:

I have problems with keeping fingertips and toes warm in even slightly cold temps. On my 2009 PCT section hike I used the chemical hand and toe warmers when needed. The issue is that they only last a short while and they do add extra weight.

Anyone know of a better solution than packing all of those hand/toe warmers?

Hey Kung Fu,

Try vapor barriers. I used them in the snow and they helped a lot and they're pretty light weight. http://www.rbhdesigns.com make a liner sock and different weight mittens.

From the site they say:
"Our Vapor Mitts have relieved the pain of Raynaud’s sufferers and people with circulatory problems caused by diabetes or previous frostbite. VaprThrm® is your best protection against cold hands. "

You could also just try plastic bags, poor man's vapor barrier, to see if it helps. The commercial ones are nice as they have a fuzzy lining and are more durable.

Good luck,
Giggles
Gig

Postby leaftye » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:02 pm

I also have cold fingers. Mittens were my solution, and a great solution at that. Vapor barriers help them stay warm longer. A cheap fix is latex/nitrile gloves.

Oh, cold toes may be due to tight footwear. Even in temps in the 20's, my feet stay warm even though I'm only wearing a pair of liner socks. And I have cold feet! I totally think it's because I'm wearing looser footwear now, especially since these same boots used to be cold when wearing thick socks.

If you already have appropriately sized footwear, I've heard felt liners make a huge difference. I haven't tried them myself though.
Sir Mix-a-lot
www.eugeneleafty.com
leaftye

Return to Gear Review