Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Need Backpack Recommendation

Rants and raves! With the plethora of gear that's out there, why don't you tell us about your gear. Help the community separate the good from the bad.

Moderator: stillroaming

Need Backpack Recommendation

Postby SunnyWalker » Fri May 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Backpack Recommends
I have a Kely Continental Divide. Weighs 7 lbs., without lid. I never use lid. I am leaving for a two week section hike on CDT June 11. Will return home for a couple of weeks and return again for two more weeks.

I found I have the money to purchase a new backpack. Have changed to lighter, but I don't know if I am ultra lighter. My gear minus my backpack right now weighs 11 lbs. but that is for a summer trip on cdt starting at Columbus. So I'll need room for warmer clothing and of course food and water.

I need to see how many cubic inches all my stuff would take, right now. i was figuring on putting everything in a box-kind of pretend it is a pack and measure the cubic inches. That might give me an idea. Right now the existing pack I love but could do without the extra lbs. At any rate I neverf fill it up.

Please help me out as I am rushed for time. If you have time please look at my gear list before you make a recommend. Thanks.
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" -Rudyard Kipling
SunnyWalker

Postby SunnyWalker » Sat May 29, 2010 5:05 am

Man, people don't reply much or help you out much on this forum. Hope someone gives me some feedback.
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" -Rudyard Kipling
SunnyWalker

Postby SunnyWalker » Sat May 29, 2010 5:01 pm

Well, I've pretty much decided on the:

ULA Catalyst Backpack.
:lol:
SunnyWalker

Postby SunnyWalker » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:51 pm

I received the ULA Catalyst today. So true, its going to be a big change from the Kelty Coninental Divide pack! This Catalyst is pretty neat. Wow its put together good and has everything I'll need. I think its even bigger then the Kelty (seems). It sure will carry anything I will ever hike with so no more worries about if it will be big enough. The suspension system looks good and I'll do the final fit this weekend. When I ordered it I sent the measurements in they requested. The final fit is bending the back bar to fit to your back and all. I'll have to figure that out. The shoulder straps and waist strap are stout. From the photos and videos I saw I wondered if they were going to be padded enough and big enough and all. They look and feel just great. All in all real good, but pretty expensive. There goes my allowance! :lol:
SunnyWalker

Postby mister4x5 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Sunnywalker,

I'm looking for a pack for my 2011 thru-hike. How do you like the Catalyst?

I was thinking about getting this pack but it seemed a little too heavy at 47oz. Maybe the Circuit at 36oz or the Ohm at 22.6oz would suit me better.

Did you check out other packs like the Gossemer Packs and the Mountain Laurel packs? If so, why did you decide on the ULA and not these others?

Does anybody else have any comments concerning these packs?

Thanks
mister4x5

Re: Need Backpack Recommendation

Postby jonhikes » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:59 pm

ULA Catalyst is a great back. ULA has really great customer service.
They nor the back will let you down. Worth the higher price.

I've been carrying around 40lb in mine and it's as comfortable as 40lbs can get.
With 25-35, it's perfect.
jonhikes

Re: Need Backpack Recommendation

Postby mister4x5 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:57 pm

Jonhikes,

I used the Catalyst on my 2011 PCT hike and it sure did the job just fine, certainly I have no regrets.

My post that you replied to was written in 2010! You should check the dates before replying :D

Anyways Thanks,

Mister4x5
mister4x5

Return to Gear Review