Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

comments on carrying a handgun on the PCT

If it's not relevant to other forums or the subject has drifted into the obscure, the messages will get put here.

comments on carrying a handgun on the PCT

Postby steven seagal » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:02 pm

When I do the PCT next year I will take a big bore wheel gun (sorry . that's a large caliber revolver) with me. I will accept the extra weight because there is no way I'm hiking 2600 miles without that protection. I won't "show it off" altho there will be times I will carry it on my side. Most of time will be in my pack. I know this is controversial decision and I'm wondering how much crap I might get for it. I'm looking for any and all comments/input. I won't waste more space here saying why, other than I'm very safety conscious and very comfortable with guns, altho I know many people aren't. But I do think that hiking, being one with nature, and having a firearm are compatible, as long as a fool is not in possession of said firearm.
Steven Seagal
steven seagal

Postby p-fitz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:20 am

Doesn't Steven Seagal know karate? What do you need a handgun for?
p-fitz

Postby Vocal » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:30 am

A knife is better for close range imho. If you get searched by a ranger or cop, you are gonna be screwed. This year a hiker would mention he had a piece and most people didnt seem to care. I guess it depends on the company you keep ).

I dont think there is anything so dangerous on the trail that you would need a gun.
Vocal

Postby steven seagal » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:46 pm

P-fitz - excellent question. As you know, Steven Seagal is invulnerable when wearing his leather coat, and hence can take on multiple enemies at once with just his bare hands and, if he has his knife, that's even better. However, on the PCT it will be impractical to wear the magical black leather coat. Hence, I believe a black revolver of some sort is required. I can discourse on this for hours, but for the sake of brevity, I will forego that discussion until another time. I might add, however, that I have written a brief "dissertaion", if you will, on why Steven Seagal should replace Aquaman in the Justice League of America. I hope to discuss this and other importatnt Steven Seagal philosophical topics whan I embark onto the PCT.
Thank you,
Steven Seagal
steven seagal

Postby steven seagal » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:51 pm

Vocal - crap ...... good points re: ranger/cops. Whats the intel on the liklihood of searches when i would just be minding my own business. I'm completely average looking and totally respect authority ........... mostly .........
I'm going to have to pursue this is greater detail.
Are rangers ever encountered way in the backcountry on the PCT?

Also, it's just me but I worry more about that one crazy/mean degenerate 2-legged creature that I might run into.
steven seagal

Postby steven seagal » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:53 pm

Also, I should add that I'm old so i totally look respectable and can act that way too.
thank you
steven seagal
steven seagal

Postby dadinpain » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:18 pm

We'll this is my 2 cents.....I too would carry....but in the OPEN only. Get a chest holster, or strap it to your leg. DO NOT conceal it in your pack...or you will go to jail. Even if you trip....fall over...pass out. Next thing you know is you wake up, you will be cuffed for carrying a concealed weapon.....because they went through your pack to find I.D. I am not as worried about people on the trail as I am for the wild animals. DIP
dadinpain

Postby StuartMy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:11 pm

I've seen this discussion elsewhere as well and find it interesting. No way would I carry a gun (no idea how to use them, don't have one, etc.). Being a bloke it can be difficult to appreciate how women feel regarding security but, in a general context, what would somebody carry a gun to protect themselves from. Are they concerned about aggressive wildlife or being mugged/attacked by people ?

Initially when researching logistics I was concerned about hitching. However I suspect that was more that I've not done any for years and the world has changed and from researching I'm no longer concerned. Plus, if I gave somebody a lift and saw they had a gun it would "worry me" and make me less inclined to help people in future. And I don't see how a handgun would help much with wildlife. I'm undecided about bear spray and tending towards not bothering.
StuartMy

Postby steven seagal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:06 am

8)
I would carry a gun for personal protection - .44 magnum - for last ditch protection against a bear or a person bent on harmimg me or my loved ones. I consider both highly unlikely, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be prepared. It's also a constitutional right to "bear" arms but we won't go into that aspect. I would carry openly whenever I'm in a National Forest or BLM land, and would have to hide it otherwise. There is also the BIG PROBLEM of when I go to town to re-supply ..... the gun would have to be secured in a locked container (soft carry bag) and unloaded. It sounds lame but that is the extra weight price I pay for exercising my constitutional right in California. I have carry premits for Oregon and Washington.
My main concern is running into some feral human who is bent on harm for me and my GF ... and I'm not some kung-fu martial artist ... so I'll shoot his ass. On the PCT you constantly hike near busy areas of the trail and there are predatory humans.
The other gun I would consider is a fold away .22 cal survival rifle - great for taking small game which is always in season, if you know how to skin, gut and cook, and provides some protection too. Laws for a rifle are different than a handgun ... in addition, or maybe just in place of, I could hide away a small .22 revolver pretty easy, and it's light, uses same ammo, and is better than nothing. Since my main concern is the feral creature of the two legged kind, a .22 cal is a good option to consider.
8) :twisted:
steven seagal

Re: comments on carrying a handgun on the PCT

Postby Giddy-up stop » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:20 am

Hmmm, where to start, This is my first back packing trip and hike also. I am getting ready to hike the PCT and I have thought about packing a firearm as well, still don't know yet. I am looking for someone to go with as I don't really want to go alone,, but will if I have to. I am new to all this and new to the postholer.com as well. I have been walking, I am 66 years old on May 1,2015. My e-mail address is tcbaat@yahoo.com I am open to all comments and advice. Thank you.
Giddy-up stop

Return to OT - Off Topic