Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

PCT Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

PCT Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Postby postholer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:36 am

The PCT FAQ is well underway! Your suggestions and writings will always be needed. Please post your suggestions here or email them to pctfaq (at) postholer.com.

The FAQ can be found at:
http://postholer.com/faq.php

Thanks!!!
-postholer
Last edited by postholer on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
postholer
Site Admin

Trail Angels

Postby Chicken 1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:26 am

You have covered most aspects of the trail angels and what they do to make the hikers more comfortable. One thing that wasn't mentioned........ please treat a trail angel's home as if you and your friends were at your parent's place. Please do not damage what you use. If something gets broken...let us know and we will fix it. No problem. Just don't wander off and not say anything. It is disrespectful. If you can't be a graceful drinker.....then don't drink. Alcohol consumption has caused problems on the trail and at trail angels homes in the past and has caused hard feelings between trail angels and hikers. Please remember these are our homes. We try and have what you all will need as you try and resupply. One hiker is affordable. 250-500 are not. We do not want to ask for money....but it sure helps a lot when you are retired and not working. Some of us do not accept donations, some do. Some will put out a can or a box and hope that each hiker might toss in what they feel our services are worth. We love you all and respect what you are doing. Please don't let one bad apple screw it up for the rest of the crew. All the hikers need to "police" the rest of the group.
Chicken 1

Re.: California Campfire Permit

Postby enyapjr » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:03 pm

The CA Campfire Permit available online has been updated so that it's now valid for the 2009 calendar year...

Thanks to Brent Skaggs, Fire Management Officer, Sequoia NF...

Be safe out there, especially regarding fire! Happy trails!!!
Jim / PITA
enyapjr

Location: State College, PA (but born and raised in the "State of Jefferson"!)

PCT FAQ Updated

Postby postholer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:16 am

The PCT FAQ has been updated! New and updated sections are Bear Canister Requirements, Hitch-Hiking Tips, PCT History and Books.

http://postholer.com/faq.php

If you have something to contribute to this FAQ, please contribute as it is a benefit to everyone!

Thanks PITA!
Thanks Gadget!
And thanks to everyone who has contributed!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

books rec. by PCT-L hikers

Postby sb » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Here are some more books recomended by hikers....

Pipers Flight by Diane Soini
Pacific Dreams by John Illig

some AT books...

Walking Home by Kelly Winters
The barefoot sisters southbound by susan and lucy letcher
The barefoot sisters walking home by susan and lucy letcher
How to hike the AT by Birdleg
We're off to see the wilderness, the wonderful wilderness of awes by M.E. Hughes
AWOL on the AT by David MIller
Walking for sunshine by Jeff Alt
As far as the eye can see by David Brill
Walking with Spring by Earl Shaffer
Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery by Model-T
Through hikers eyes- a journey along the AT by Lawrence "Baro" Alexander
Dead Men hike No Trails by Rick Mckinney
Blind Courage by Bill Irwin
In beauty she may walk by Leslie Mass
There are mountains to climb by Jean Deeds
Skywalker: Close encounters on the AT by Bill Walker
sb

Re: books rec. by PCT-L hikers

Postby postholer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:40 pm

Thanks for the list of books sb! I've added a link to the faq that points to this list in the forum.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby juma » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:53 pm

hitching - carry and display small american flag.
juma

Re: PCT Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Postby wb68 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:43 pm

What is the best way to prepare for the Pacific Crest Trail? I have Asperger's Disorder, and I have been taking any advice for this upcoming trial. What permits, checkpoints, resupply points anything like that?
wb68

Postby postholer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:39 am

wb68 wrote:What permits, checkpoints, resupply points anything like that?

If you view the PCT FAQ that information is at the very top. It will tell you specifically what you need to do.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Re: Trail Angels

Postby gfreeborn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:46 am

Chicken 1 wrote:You have covered most aspects of the trail angels and what they do to make the hikers more comfortable. One thing that wasn't mentioned........ please treat a trail angel's home as if you and your friends were at your parent's place. Please do not damage what you use. If something gets broken...let us know and we will fix it. No problem. Just don't wander off and not say anything. It is disrespectful. If you can't be a graceful drinker.....then don't drink. Alcohol consumption has caused problems on the trail and at trail angels homes in the past and has caused hard feelings between trail angels and hikers. Please remember these are our homes. We try and have what you all will need as you try and resupply. One hiker is affordable. 250-500 are not. We do not want to ask for money....but it sure helps a lot when you are retired and not working. Some of us do not accept donations, some do. Some will put out a can or a box and hope that each hiker might toss in what they feel our services are worth. We love you all and respect what you are doing. Please don't let one bad apple screw it up for the rest of the crew. All the hikers need to "police" the rest of the group.

GordF .... pretty basic folks, don't bite the hand that feeds you! Trail Angles are incredibly generous people - we will treat them with utmost repect that simple!
gfreeborn

Postby Sealord3 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:35 am

How far in advance can/should resupply packages be mailed. I live in upstate New York?
Thanks in advance.
Sealord3

Postby stillroaming » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:08 pm

Sealord3 wrote:How far in advance can/should resupply packages be mailed. I live in upstate New York?

Places like Kennedy Meadows, Vermilion Valley Resort, Muir Trail Ranch you need to make sure they receive it 2 weeks before you arrive. They don't actually receive your package where you pick it up. They have to transport it out into the sticks.

For U.S. post offices they are only required to hold your package for 2 weeks. I've never heard of anyone having their package returned if it was there longer. Using Priority Mail is a plus. It's can cost a bit more, but it ensures your package arrives before you. You might need to send yourself something at your next resupply and only have 4,5,6 days to hike there. Often Priority Mail will beat you there. Try not to cut things that close, though!

-stillroaming
stillroaming

Postby RobertoFresco » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:10 pm

Hello Friends

I obviously didn't know what I was doing when I scheduled my trip. I plan on hiking the section from Walker pass and now only up to Kennedy Meadows and then from there as far as I can go due to the snow. My date to be at Walker pass is May 16, from what I understand, this is very early in the season.my original plan was to go all in independence. I don't think that will be possible. Last year in August, I planned to do a section from Cottonwood, to independence, but the fire at Cottonwood pushed me out and just ruined all my plans,has anyone ever hiked this section(walker pass /kennedy meadows), At this time(may 15-20) and what can I expect. it looks like I'll only be able to do the PCT in three and four day trips one section at a time for now. I plan on going back in August to Kennedy Meadows when most of the snow is gone and section hike to lone Pine. Find out today that Whitney Port Road is closed due to a rockslide. I'm just looking for the word on what's going on from walker pass to Kennedy Meadows in mid-May.

rob
RobertoFresco

Postby postholer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:21 pm

RobertoFresco wrote: I'm just looking for the word on what's going on from walker pass to Kennedy Meadows in mid-May.

Walker Pass to Kennedy Meadow should be OK, aside from any late season storms. The high point is 8,000 feet in that section, but mostly lower. Look for trail reports and check the weather before you go.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Pacific Crest Trail