Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Peek Email Device

GPS's, cell phones, PDA's, tablets or any other electronic device, this is the place. Someone will eventually answer your questions.

It's OK to be a geek and a hiker!

Peek Email Device

Postby mister4x5 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:14 pm

I'm thinking about using the Peek email device on the PCT next year. Is this a good email option for my thru hike? I know how the device works, I'm interested in knowing how available a connection I can expect.

I don't need a connection on the trail, I'm just interested in service "in town". It works on the T-Mobile network only.

Thanks
mister4x5

Re: Peek Email Device

Postby stillroaming » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:34 pm

mister4x5 wrote:I'm thinking about using the Peek email device on the PCT next year. ...I'm just interested in service "in town". It works on the T-Mobile network only.

Iceaxe used a peek device very nicely for updating his journal on the PCT last year.
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?event_id=414

This year he's using it on the CDT. He swears by it.
http://postholer.com/matt%20edwards

He's not the only one. I've seen several other journalists on this site use it as well.

-stillroaming
stillroaming

Postby mister4x5 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:20 pm

Thanks stillroaming,

I'll get the Peek before I start my hike and give it a shot. Maybe they will have a newer model by then with more bell and whistles. :D
mister4x5

Peek Device

Postby Day-late » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:06 pm

I used one also on the PCT in 2009. Both iceaxe and myself raved about them - usually to each other. They were small and simple and cheap and did the job of journalling well.

Highly recommended. I will use it again on the CDT when I get lucky enough to do that.

If you expect the functionality of a fancy cell phone you could be disappointed - but if you just want to journal I think it is the best option around.

Day-Late
Day-Late
Day-late

Postby mister4x5 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks Day-late,

I just want to be able to type while on the trail and send off my journal entries whenever I can. I'm not looking for, or am I interested in doing anything else with the peek. I perfer to have the "rest of the world" leave me in peace while I hike. My cellular will stay in my bounce box.

It would be nice to have a couple additions to the Peek if a newer version were to come out, things like a note pad, calendar and a calculator.

I mostly concerned about not being able to get a signal while in towns.

Mister4x5
mister4x5

Postby mister4x5 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:30 pm

here is another cool device. It's not available yet but it be something to keep an eye on.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/giinii-m ... n/#1265512

Mister4x5
mister4x5

Postby leaftye » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:31 am

The Peek wasn't worth it for me this year. I couldn't charge it very effectively with my solar charger, it lost some of my messages, and I really didn't like the restricted service areas. That said, I'd deal with it again if they get more carriers to support it.
Sir Mix-a-lot
www.eugeneleafty.com
leaftye

Postby mister4x5 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:27 am

This seem to be a recurring theme. One Carrier, no service available. I have forgotten about the possibility of using a Peak on the PCT.

Miguel
mister4x5

Postby leaftye » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:46 am

Since you asked about using it in towns... I only used it in socal. It did not work at Lake Morena. It didn't work at the Laguna Lodge or most of the Lagunas, although I got a bit of a signal as we descended. No signal in Santa Ysabel, but got a strong signal for a couple blocks in the main part of Julian.
No signal at Warner Springs. Weak signals in and around Idyllwild. A range of signals in Big Bear.

That was disappointing to me. I can't see the situation getting much better further up the trail except in Ashland.

I was getting so much junk mail that I had to keep it on a while to process its slow data delivery. For some reason it must download anything that hits your inbox. Even if you have someone at home deleting all your spam, your Peek will still download it. One other problem is that longer emails are truncated. Those parts must be downloaded as you read. You might download your mail to read later, only to find that the good parts are not available. This necessitates the device being on longer, which can eat a good bit of battery life.

If you get one, also set up a brand new email account to minimize spam. Consider carrying a spare battery or solar charger if you intend to journal every night, especially if you want to try connecting between towns. Journaling without a signal is how I believe I lost some messages. I typed my emails offline and then tried to send them when I got into town. I think the device goofed up, and unfortunately it doesn't let you know if it's been successful or not.
Sir Mix-a-lot
www.eugeneleafty.com
leaftye

Postby mister4x5 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:38 am

Leaftye,

That is a nice report. There seems to be more problems with using the device than just the lack of signal issues.

I'm still on the lookout for some sort a device that will fit the bill. Paper and pencil seems to be the best option at this point. We'll see.

Thanks a Million,
Mister4x5
mister4x5

Postby mister4x5 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Here is something new that will be out soon. It may cost a pretty penny but what else could be expected!

See a review here... http://www.pocketables.net/2010/06/review-viliv-n5.html
mister4x5

Postby mister4x5 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:33 pm

A new Peek device is going to be announced tomorrow. Lets see what it's all about.

Mister4x5
mister4x5

Return to Gadgets