Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

How did you do it?

Anything concerning the Postholer Google Maps. This may be feature requests, marker information updates or bug reports.

Moderator: postholer

How did you do it?

Postby MtHoodlum » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:24 pm

Could you provide a quick summary of how you added GPS data and topo maps to Google Maps? I would like to try something similar with my local trails.
MtHoodlum

Re: How did you do it?

Postby postholer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Postholer maps has a unique way of adding the trail trace to google maps. We keep that close to the vest, so apologies for not sharing!

For waypoints, spots, maildrops, etc, it simply uses google's GMarker straight from the API. There are some custom mouse events associated with the markers as well. Documentation with examples for GMarker and overlays can be found here:
http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/reference.html

For 'overlays' such as topo maps, satellite maps, etc, visit the above link. It's all there.

MtHoodlum wrote:Could you provide a quick summary of how you added GPS data and topo maps to Google Maps? I would like to try something similar with my local trails.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Otis » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:04 pm

How are the map sheets created along the trail route?
I want to illustrate a long trail, similar to the way you have made map sheets in Google Maps and to what Halfmile did with NG TOPO. A while back in PCT-L there was some discussion about your maps and construction of the overlapping map pages ( vs Halfmiles), could have concerned software? Meant to copy it and cant find it now ( I am very lame using the -List).
My project is a Lewis and Clark trail map. Would be creating the map tiles to follow the route and posting in the survey points and azimuth vectors recorded over the length of the trip. Should be similar to adding waypoints and POI's plus track lines to base maps as is the vogue for the longer hiking trails now. This is just a hobby project, not commercial, and was hoping to get a leg up from the postholer community in starting out. Sorry if this is a bit off topic. If anyone wants to respond directly off forum, email is oandswalter@gmail.com.
Thanks
Otis
Otis

Postby postholer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Otis wrote:How are the map sheets created along the trail route?
I want to illustrate a long trail, similar to the way you have made map sheets in Google Maps and to what Halfmile did with NG TOPO.

First, you need to get your Lewis and Clark route into some kind of format such as .gpx, .kml, etc.

Then it's just a matter of importing into NatGeo. If it's a .kml google earth will read it just fine.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Otis » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks, Getting my L&C route info into digits in one of the formats is my main step. Was wanting to know which software was used to make the maps for the books ( sorry, probably should have started this in the map book topic?). I looked at the " exhaustive details" page for the PCT pocket maps, so see the source of some of the digital base maps and layers, but was wondering if all this is done in Google Maps? I doubt now I will even make printable map tiles along a route for L&C, but would like to copy your basic work flow , and use the same tools you did, if you are able to share any of that with me.
Looking back on the pocket map pages, I saw the digital vs scanned comparison. I remember that when I was using the scanned map bases the halfmile route is on, yes I did not like the base used, too cluttered with non useful info, boundaries in dark lines, extra labeling ect..............but they did have many of the trails marked that connected to the PCT. This was very nice to have. A USGS guy told me that the digital files they provide for current topo quad layers, do not include the trails ( dashed lines on the printed maps) and therefore would not be on the maps you ( or anyone else) makes from these data. Can you confirm this , that the trail lines are not on the base maps you have in your pocket maps series?
Thanks
Otis
Otis

Postby postholer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Hey Otis, here are some answers to your questions, as best I can.

Otis wrote:Was wanting to know which software was used to make the maps for the books

The software is custom created scripts I've created using PHP, built around the GDAL utilities specifically for creating topo maps, given a trail trace and various parameters, scale, paper size, contour intervals, etc.

I looked at the " exhaustive details" page for the PCT pocket maps, so see the sources of some of the digital base maps and layers,

The layers were created from those sources, then stacked to create digitized base maps.

but was wondering if all this is done in Google Maps?

No, google maps are for viewing, not creating base map tiles.

but would like to copy your basic work flow , and use the same tools you did, if you are able to share any of that with me.

PHP and GDAL are freely available. The tools I've created with them are unique and will not be made available for public consumption. Sorry!

...but they did have many of the trails marked that connected to the PCT. This was very nice to have.

As do the postholer pocket maps. Look at all the side trails coming off the PCT in the section A & B samples.

A USGS guy told me that the digital files they provide for current topo quad layers, do not include the trails ( dashed lines on the printed maps)

The postholer maps are not USGS quads nor do the postholer maps use them in any way. The postholer maps are created from the ground up from mostly vector data and have all the side trails you'd expect in a topo map. Again, look at all the side trails coming off the PCT in the section A & B samples.

..and therefore would not be on the maps you ( or anyone else) makes from these data.

Good thing I don't use just USGS data! :lol:

The data used for the postholer pocket maps all originates from large, US government sources; freely available. I've taken much time to compile all that data programatically to achieve the results you see.

This is not something you can do in a weekend. It took me 6 months with the skill set I have. Others may be able to do it quicker.

Can you confirm this , that the trail lines are not on the base maps you have in your pocket maps series?

Not only do all the side trails exist, almost every trail junction is labeled on the postholer topo maps. Each trail junction is also in the free data book with mileages, etc, etc.

Hope that helps!
-postholer 8)
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Otis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 am

Helps a bunch, thanks for the info
Otis

Return to Postholer Google Maps