Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

PCT Kickoff Canceled.

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

PCT Kickoff Canceled.

Postby Gary Schenk » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:26 am

The ADZPCTKO is canceled this year. Is this a good or bad thing?
http://www.adzpctko.org/

Will this disburse the party animals and lessen their impact on the trail and in town?

What about the rookies? The kickoff does attempt to teach them about fire and bear safety.
Gary Schenk

Re: PCT Kickoff Canceled.

Postby ryandax » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:05 am

I couldn't be happier the kick off is canceled. I attended the event in 2012 when I hiked NOBO and started then as well. It seemed to jam up hikers and form large packs that took over towns. There were only approx. 800 thruhikers that year and that number has sharply risen every year since. Not having a kick off encourages thru hikers to start whenever they feel is best for their abilities. There will be some frustration for new hikers who appreciate the kick off to get information but most of that can be found online.(or just ask here)
ryandax

Re: PCT Kickoff Canceled.

Postby postholer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:32 am

The party right at the southern terminus has always been a bad idea due to the potential impact it can have on the trail and hikers. Acknowledging that impact has just recently become fashionable with the kick-off organizers and the PCTa.

Everyone loves a party. If they could move it far, far up the trail where it would have much less impact, that would seem to be the responsible thing to do. Just my opinion.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Pacific Crest Trail