Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

One Week Hike

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

One Week Hike

Postby Storminnorman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:40 am

First off, thanks for allowing me to participate.

I’m an easy coast hiker looking to go out for a week hike with my nephew late June/early July this summer. As I am not intimately familiar with the PCT like those on here, where would be the best 100-140 miles to hike? Minimal or no permits, resupply options, scenery, and just as important travel options to and from the trailheads? As far as travel options are concerned, are there any shuttle drivers or a list like there is for the AT? Any help or I formation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Storminnorman

Re: One Week Hike

Postby markv » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:18 pm

First, PCT miles go faster than east coast miles. If you do 100-140 in a week in the east, on the PCT that would translate to 120-200 miles.

That time of year has several options, and it's hard to pick one that is THE best. It's beautiful in the Sierra, but the bugs will be out full force. For permit ease and fewer bugs, i'd pick going north from Lake Tahoe // Echo Lake, although Yosemite and the High Sierra are more spectacular. Flights into Reno have ways of getting to Tahoe...sorry i'm not the one who knows the transit details. I just know that people do it. Resupplies to the north are at Truckee and Sierra City, pretty close together. If you go south the carries are longer.

The very northern part of California and the fun parts of Oregon and Washington will still have snow to deal with. I've done northern OR in that time of year, but it did require some snow navigation.
markv

Postby Storminnorman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks for the information. I think the Lake Tahoe area will work nicely. It gives a pretty good distance and resupply. I appreciate the help.
Storminnorman

Postby JoshuaMuse » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:02 pm

Eagle Rock is an easy 15 minute hike up the 250 feet of elevation to the summit. Nice views and easy to access. Cave Rock on the Eastern Shore is also a quick and easy spot with great views.
Click to View: link#1 - link#2
JoshuaMuse

Return to Pacific Crest Trail