Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Snow Conditions SB PCT (inquiry)

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Snow Conditions SB PCT (inquiry)

Postby AxiomUnbroken » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:29 am

I am trying to get a better understanding of snow conditions southbound around Harts Pass. Several people have mentioned leaving by 06/15 which was my intention, but I was waiting till I knew for certain the trail conditions. As I understand it there is heavy snow this year, should I postpone my trip? Just go pick up crampons and an Ice axe, then head out? I'm happy to deal with some adverse conditions, but I would prefer to avoid unsafe ones.
AxiomUnbroken

Re: Snow Conditions SB PCT (inquiry)

Postby postholer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:54 pm

Lots of snow at the moment up north and it's melting fast.

Still, I'm glad I'm not on the trail right now. It all depends on your experience level. Do you mind walking for miles and miles on snow?

Early June you'd expect lots of snow. This was a pretty normal snow year and I sure wouldn't leave on June 15th.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby AxiomUnbroken » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:53 pm

Thanks, I read somewhere it was a high snow year... well at the peaks, and valleys were low. The snow maps did not give me comfort showing 3-4 feet of snow. Thanks!
AxiomUnbroken

Postby AxiomUnbroken » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Does anyone know what the conditions look like to the Canadian border around harts pass? Now maps still look like hell.
AxiomUnbroken

Postby Hotdog » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:22 pm

So exactly what am I waiting for here? Looking at hearts pass snow report. There is lots of snow. Am I watching for a certain level? Is there a magic number :?:

Better yet can we take a snow machine to the top and slide down the other side?
Hotdog

Postby Mmmhmmmheinz » Fri May 26, 2017 1:07 pm

@hotdog

Im watching levels myself also for sobo this year. I dont have a magic number but am just feeling out the warming trend here. Wrapping up last minute preparations.
Mmmhmmmheinz

Postby ManOWar » Tue May 30, 2017 5:48 pm

I start heading for the Northern Term 6/12. NFS 5500 out of Mazama is plowed to Cache Creek. Snow beyond that. I'd like to turn south by 6/15..
ManOWar

Postby Hotdog » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks for the update. Hopen you are floating over the top of that stuff. Snow shoes that early needed?
Hotdog

Return to Pacific Crest Trail