Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

2017 planning - snowin NoCal

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

2017 planning - snowin NoCal

Postby Teatime » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:29 am

Hi all

I have a late start permit - May 10th, so I plan to do about 200 miles somewhere North of the Sierra to help me keep on track for North Washington.

I don't want to do any "catch-up miles" south of the Sierra as May 10th out of Campo gets me to Kennedy Meadows about June 17th which I think is about right this year from what I've been reading.

I'm thinking of Belden to Castella which is about 210 miles, but I need adviec on the snow there in late April. I see from Postholers snow guide that its typically one of the least snowy areas, but does anyone have experinece of the area in late April, or have any inside track on snow there now?

Teatime
Teatime

Re: 2017 planning - snowin NoCal

Postby mrolph » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:50 am

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...however, except for years of exceptional drought, there are no significant snow free sections in Northern CA before June. The climb out of Belden might be snow free in April and about 30 miles of trail in the Hat Creek area might be mostly snow free. Everywhere else will have significant snow cover. I'm not saying it's not possible to hike from Belden to Castella in April, but expect to be hiking on snow most of the time.

LeiLow
mrolph

Re: 2017 planning - snowin NoCal

Postby Teatime » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:35 am

Thanks Leilow

Yep, I was reaching that conclusion after further research. :cry:

I can imagine some convoluted section hopping, doing some of SoCal early, then scooting up North in early June and back down to Kennedy Meadows but maybe it just easier to accept the late start, plan less zeros after the Sierra and gun it through Oregon. I did about 2/3 of the PCT in 2015, and Oregon was like a moving sidewalk. I think I could fly through there and make up a week.

Even if I just do it straight from May 10 I would expect to be able to make it by October.

Teatime
Teatime

Return to Pacific Crest Trail