Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Recommendation for PCT hiking Mt Hood OR

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Recommendation for PCT hiking Mt Hood OR

Postby Button » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Hello

I was hoping to get some recommendations for the Mt Hood PCT area to do a little bit of hiking just before 4th July weekend.

I will find myself in the Portland area (east of the city staying in a state park on the river) and wanted to do a short overnight (2 nights max) on the PCT around Mt Hood - looking at only doing 6-10 miles per day as I haven't been mountain hiking in a while and just want something to experience the PCT rather than make huge miles.

Can anyone suggest a section (or loop coming back via a different trail) to hike in this area with a bit of a nudge as to where to find any camping information/permits etc if I need those.

Sorry to be vague but I am unexpectedly in the area and having previously hiked the AT, really want to set foot on the PCT and check out the scenery while I'm so close to it.

Any suggestions/advice appreciated! Many thanks :-)
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-David Henry Thoreau
Button

Return to Pacific Crest Trail