Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Postholer Trail Snow Chart vs SEKI Trail Conditions Report?

If you know of conditions that affect the trail and want to get the word out to hikers, this is the place!

Moderator: The gnome

Postholer Trail Snow Chart vs SEKI Trail Conditions Report?

Postby bobb » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:25 am

Hello. I am trying to understand the discrepancies between the information provided in the SEKI & Yosemite Trail Conditions Reports vs the Postholer PCT Trail Snow Graphic.

For example, let's take a look at Mather pass....

SEKI Trail Conditions Report:
7/17 - There are two difficult and steep snow fields on South facing slope. Ice ax and traction devices are required
source: https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm

However, the Mather Pass section appears snow-free in the Postholer trail snow graphic (attached).

This is one example, but I'm pretty sure I have observed other conflicts between the reports over the past few weeks.

So that leads to a few questions...
1) Am I interpreting this information correctly or am I missing something silly?
2) If this info does conflict, then what advice do folks have for reconciling the information? Which source is more dependable?
bobb

Re: Postholer Trail Snow Chart vs SEKI Trail Conditions Repo

Postby postholer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:10 pm

There are a couple things happening.

First, the snow data has a 1 km resolution so it won't 'see' every field.

Second, the postholer graph data is taken directly from the SNODAS model, which is the go-to data for SWE. SNODAS completely dropped the ball this spring/summer during melt and way under-reported conditions in mid-June forward. The folks who create this model are aware of it and it's a continuing process of getting it right.

Hope that helps!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Re: Postholer Trail Snow Chart vs SEKI Trail Conditions Repo

Postby bobb » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Thank you very much for the speedy and informative reply. This was seriously helpful.

Seeing as folks here seem to be super-experts, if anyone can offer additional sources for trail snow conditions in the coming weeks, please feel free to PM me. We're doing the JMT NOBO starting at Cottonwood Lakes on July 31. I'm looking for every excuse possible to avoid bringing spikes / ice axe :)
bobb

Return to Trail Conditions