Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

PCT Class of 2018

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

PCT Class of 2018

Postby postholer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:06 pm

Well, let's hear for the PCT Class of 2018!

Check in let us all know what's going on. If FB is your thing, which it probably is, check out the PCT Class of 2018 page.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Re: PCT Class of 2018

Postby hike4lifejnd » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:18 pm

Ill be there, PCT Class of 2018. Coming in little late at start day NB from campo May 28th :roll:
Nervous about water sources still existing for The Desert Miles as well as stretches like Hat Creek. Any thoughts?
But on the bright side there should be some decent snow meltage by the time I get to those Sierras right? power of positivity! :wink:

Ill be spending my favorite holiday out on the trail and was wondering if tehachapi/kennedy meadows are decent stops for 4th of July? What better way to start the sierras than with fireworks! :mrgreen:

Trying my hardest to avoid social media like FB and Insta for PCT 2018 communications, but this thread looks pretty dismal....knock knock, anyone there?!
hike4lifejnd

Postby 19cbrown64 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Way to go, PCT Class of 2018! Wish I was. Probably 2019! Gotta get my "ducks in a row"! Will be following closely-learn a thing or two (or three, four...).
19cbrown64

Postby RobertoFresco » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Hey Guys

Last year the heat killed me.I went in late July. This year I will be on the trail from Km on May 1st to Bishop Pass. I would rather be cold than freaking hot. Are there any snow issues this year?. Will anyone be in this section during this time?. What can I expect as far as temps? Last year I got great advice on the weather but my hiking times, hiking in the heat ruined my trip. I know I'm whining but I'm from the land of humidity and was looking for cooool High Sierra weather. I got 116 degrees up their. Hope the weather cooperates.
RobertoFresco

Postby kirninco » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:27 pm

hike4lifejnd wrote:Ill be there, PCT Class of 2018. Coming in little late at start day NB from campo May 28th :roll:
Nervous about water sources still existing for The Desert Miles as well as stretches like Hat Creek. Any thoughts?
But on the bright side there should be some decent snow meltage by the time I get to those Sierras right? power of positivity! :wink:

Ill be spending my favorite holiday out on the trail and was wondering if tehachapi/kennedy meadows are decent stops for 4th of July? What better way to start the sierras than with fireworks! :mrgreen:

Trying my hardest to avoid social media like FB and Insta for PCT 2018 communications, but this thread looks pretty dismal....knock knock, anyone there?!

I am in for 2018! My permit is for a mid/late May start. I don't use facebook, instagram, etc.

I hiked 350 miles last summer in the NW Wyoming area, very few overnights though.
kirninco

Postby kirninco » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:34 pm

This possible permit loophole is making me consider forgoing my border-to-border permit and getting one (mi 152 on) that would put me with a late April start. I actually signed up for a second permit starting using a different email/address. Poor form? Should I cancel it maybe? I was kind of set on my mid/late May start and don't want to lose that from being greedy.
kirninco

Postby postholer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:08 pm

kirninco wrote:I was kind of set on my mid/late May start and don't want to lose that from being greedy.

Yeah, you should probably let one of those permits go.

You won't need your permit until after mile 700, if you stay in a campground the 25 miles between Hauser Creek and Mt Laguna. So, it doesn't matter which one you keep.
postholer
Site Admin

Postby manymilesago2018 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:03 pm

I'm starting the PCT March 25th at Campo. Looking forward to meeting other thru-hikes along the trail. Should be a great adventure. Canada here I come!
manymilesago2018

Postby RoadrunnerDan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:46 pm

I didn't know about the loophole with the Campo start.
My original Campo start was 5/25, but I figured it was way to late to hike across the Mojave.
I opted for a flip/flop by starting at KM on 6/17. Hope to see some of you on the trail.
RoadrunnerDan

Return to Pacific Crest Trail