Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Semptember sierras- november?

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Semptember sierras- november?

Postby SamPeck1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:50 am

Hey everyone-
One of my friends and I are currently planning a 1000+ mile hike on the PCT for this coming season. Because of scheduling issues, the earliest we can start is september 1st, but we also want to experience the sierras, so we're currently planning on starting in kennedy meadows. I've been looking at the weather, but Im still not sure how far we'll be able to make it before winter hits. We're planning on averaging a little above 20 mile days- do you think theres any chance we can make it to the northern terminus before conditions become to dangerous?
SamPeck1

Re: Semptember sierras- november?

Postby postholer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:07 am

That sounds like quite the hike, but probably not safely doable.

The sierra will be absolutely awesome in September. But given your itineray the average hiker would arrive at the northern terminus on December 24th. Even if you didn't encounter mounds of snow and dangerous winter hiking conditions, the low temps would be in the teens.

Check out the planner. Throw in a start date and start location, play around with your hiking style and see how far you can get:
https://www.postholer.com/planner/Pacific-Crest-Trail/1

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Pacific Crest Trail