Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Section Hike

The Appalachian Trail is the most well traveled and adored trail of the Triple Crown trails. So come on in, have a seat and tell us your story.

Section Hike

Postby EvanGarber22 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:20 am

Hi guys! I am planning a section hike from the Delaware water gap (PA-NJ border) up to Massachusetts. The current estimate that I have for daily mileage is about 15 miles a day. I am wondering if this is an accurate estimation. In your experience how long has it take you to hike through each state (NJ, NY and CT). Thanks for the help!
EvanGarber22

Re: Section Hike

Postby postholer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:37 am

Check out the AT planner. It will show you average hike times by default. Choose your own start/ending locations and adjust to your hiking style:

https://www.postholer.com/planner/Appalachian-Trail/3
postholer
Site Admin

Postby EvanGarber22 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:58 am

Is that planner fairly accurate? That's what I used to plan it thus far but I just wanted to check and make sure.
EvanGarber22

Postby postholer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:17 am

If you are forthcoming about your hiking style and are accurate with your zero days it will be very close.

The cool thing is, you can easily adjust it on the trail. After a week, if you're moving faster or slower than your plan, just move the slider a bit to reflect it. Adjust your zero days as you take them. It will stay quite accurate throughout your hike.

Most of all, you have a single source with all your stops and notes.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby gg-man » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:08 pm

EvanGarber22 wrote:Hi guys! I am planning a section hike from the Delaware water gap (PA-NJ border) up to Massachusetts. The current estimate that I have for daily mileage is about 15 miles a day. I am wondering if this is an accurate estimation. In your experience how long has it take you to hike through each state (NJ, NY and CT). Thanks for the help!

If you have hiked any section of the AT then you will likely do higher mileage in that section than any on the trail.
gg-man

Postby Miner » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:37 pm

For estimating your daily mileage, you need to consider how light your total packweight will be, what your physical condition is (how many 15+ mile hikes with gear have you done prior to leaving), how often will you resupply (prefer to stay on the trail as long as possible or go into town as often as you can?), and what time of year it will be (affects daylight hours) and how long of a day do you hike. That said, I don't think 15 miles will be hard for someone with a decently light pack if they aren't in poor physical shape to start with.

I'm actually debating on hiking that same section SOBO in September, picking up where I got off near the MA/VT border in Williamstown/North Adams a couple of years ago. I'm thinking I'll do at least 17mpd to start. I'm estimating it will be at least easier than VT. At the end of 3 weeks, I'll likely get off somewhere between DWG and Port Clinton, PA depending on how much time I take off in town along the way. In my case, I'll be doing 30+ mile backpacking trips on most of the previous 8 weekends before leaving, doing some high elevation extended climbs. So I figure to be in descent shape when starting. That sort of training worked well for me last year for my JMT hike where I was averaging 17.8 mpd even with the high altitude (not incuding time off). The only thing I can't train well for are the AT rock staircases since most trail in my area are switchbacked. So I'm hoping there won't be too many scrambles straight up which ME and NH were so full of and I made my smallest mpd average ever in the last 10 years (12-13mpd in places).
Miner

Return to Appalachian Trail