Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Postholer Snow Report - CDT

If you know of conditions that affect the trail and want to get the word out to hikers, this is the place!

Moderator: The gnome

Postholer Snow Report - CDT

Postby steelcranium » Tue May 29, 2018 9:07 pm

First Ill say the the modeling and new snow tool here is very helpful. It gives a more accurate feel for acrual of trail snow than just SNOWTEL reports.

However, I found that the actual snow on trail from Chama to WCP (5/18 - 5/22/18), was 2-3 times more in reality than what the Postholer snow tool was indicating. If I were to take a guess that is probably due to the fact that a roughly 30 mile circle around Wolf Creek Pass is a bit of a weather anomaly... it gets significantly more precip than areas outside of that radius. So the takeaway is : use all your resources and cross reference!!! I’ll report back on the WCP to Twin Lakes stretch - which is showing ~ 1.8% coverage currently on the Postholer tool.
Last edited by steelcranium on Wed May 30, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelcranium

Re: Postholer Snow Report - CDT

Postby postholer » Tue May 29, 2018 9:22 pm

Yep, I couldn't agree more!

The SNODAS model snow data has a resolution of 1km. You will always find a discrepancy, as in more or less snow. On the flip side, the location that your are physically standing is rarely a good indicator for a given stretch of trail.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Trail Conditions