Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Permit How To - Segment Hike

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Permit How To - Segment Hike

Postby DemHike2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Can someone explain what permits we will need and which agency to get it/them from for the following hike?

We are leaving soon for a 203 mile stretch starting at Kennedy Meadows. We plan to exit at Reds Meadow. I have read a ton of information on permits but am not getting as much clarity as I would like. We will not be hiking Mt. Whitney. We are going straight from point A (KM) to point B (RM) - if all goes as planned of course.
Thanks!!
DemHike2

Re: Permit How To - Segment Hike

Postby Miner » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:03 pm

You need to get a single permit from the agency managing your starting trailhead. In this case it would be Inyo National Forest. You need a permit starting in the South Sierra Wilderness where permits are normally optional, but since you will be continuing out of that wilderness into other wilderness areas that require a permit, you must get one.

Go to the KM trailhead webpage and scroll down to the Information Center to get the 2 main ranger offices that can issue your permit and call them to see what you need to do: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/re ... ecid=81827

Basically you can pickup a permit in Kernville, Lone Pine, or during the summer months you can get one at the seasonal BlackRock ranger station about 15-20 minutes drive from Kennedy Meadows. You shouldn't have any issues getting one for the same day given the trailhead doesn't have a quota. That said, I would see if I could reserve one ahead of time and possibly get it after hours, hence why I said call.
Miner

Re: Permit How To - Segment Hike

Postby DemHike2 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks so much!! Calling in the morning!
DemHike2

Return to Pacific Crest Trail