Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

62% of the PCT has burned before Agua Dulce

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

62% of the PCT has burned before Agua Dulce

Postby postholer » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:00 am

From 2000-2018 62% of the PCT has burned between Mexico and Agua Dulce. That's 278 trail miles out of 448 trail miles!

For the whole trail, 22% has burned in the same time period. 590 miles out of 2,650.

No fires, please.

View all the fire perimeters:
https://www.postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php ... &dmode=666
postholer
Site Admin

Re: 62% of the PCT has burned before Agua Dulce

Postby markv » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:50 pm

Pretty fascinating map, especially for someone who's been out there multiple years. Later i would think "was this really all burned last time i came through?", and the answer is "no, it wasn't. it's new burn zone."

Besides the big recent fire years of 2008, 2013 and 2017, going up and down that map there sure were a ton of 2003 fires. Back then it was probably a bigger surprise, with less internet info...must have been tough. Class of '03, chime in!
markv

Re: 62% of the PCT has burned before Agua Dulce

Postby Thunderbolt_47 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:15 am

Eh, being caught by surprise by the results of the fire beats being caught by said fire while hiking! It happened to me once in southern France, fortunately enough we were very close to the end of our 4-day trip and could reach our cars and book it before the fire reached where we were.
I'd juste like to see the forest grow again after the fire, because walking through the charcoal black remains of a burned forest is depressing.
Thunderbolt_47

Return to Pacific Crest Trail