Postholer.Com Login   Journals   Maps   Data Books   Planner   Snow   Google Maps

Sweepandoutoforder - Other Trail Journal - 2011

rss
Entry 1 of 5
First :: Previous :: Next  :: Last

View/Sign my Guestbook

SweepandOutofOrder
Begins: Apr 7, 2011
Direction: Westbound

Daily Summary
Date: Wed, Apr 6th, 2011

Journal Stats
Entry Visits: 430
Journal Visits: 1,371
Guestbook Views: 213
Guestbook Entrys: 21

Hello!

The Hayduke Trail is a mash of trails, routes, roads, drainages, canyons, washes, ridges and game trails that stretch over eight hundred miles between Arches National Park in Southeast Utah to Zion National Park in Southwest Utah. Along the way, it crosses a rugged, desolate and beautiful land, including six national parks (Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon and Zion), a national recreation area, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and vast stretches of barely known, but beautiful, wilderness in between. From the heart of the Grand Canyon at 2,000 feet to the top of the Henry Mountains above 11,000, we'll work our way under natural arches and bridges, around spires and hoodoos, down cracks of rock, across ancient sand dunes frozen into rock, into narrow canyons and along mountain ridges. We'll touch 2 billion year old rock, walk through forests of aspen, ponderosa and cactus, shiver in near freezing temperatures at night and wither in the sun on hundred degree days.

Between us, we've hiked a little bit, but I'm still nervous and excited going into this one. It almost feels like I'm arriving at Springer Mountain again to start the Appalachian Trail for the first time, but that is the thrill of adventure and stepping into the unknown. As always, leaving my friends and family is incredibly difficult. Just hearing salsa music playing in the airport almost broke my heart when I thought of all my friends in Tallahassee who I wouldn't be able to dance with for the next few months, but nothing worth doing is costless.

We're not planning to write much on this journal, but we wanted to have a place where we can beg for cookies from friends and family, since, at least for me, that's about 95% of the reason I hike (the other 5%, ice cream). If you want a more substantial journal about thru-hiking try one of our past journals, www.postholer.com/outoforder for me or www.postholer.com/sweep for Sweep.

Love everyone,
-OOO

Entry 1 of 5
First :: Previous :: Next  :: Last

Journal Photo

The Hayduke Trail

-Sweep and Out of Order

 

  Printed Maps :: Google Maps :: Journals :: Trail Planners :: Data Books :: Gear Lists :: Snow :: Elevation Profiles  

Postholer.Com © 2005-2021 - Sitemap - W3C - @postholer