View/Sign my Guestbook
City: Mill Valley
Begins: May 1, 2009
Date: Wed, Apr 1st, 2009
Entry Visits: 2,470
Journal Visits: 45,106
Guestbook Views: 3,648
Guestbook Entrys: 47
Trip Planning Begins - No April Fools
( First Time Here? Be sure to read April 20 for an overview. )
I endured two long nights of nightmares.
I think it had something to do with the 5.3 Million Steps that I plan to take in the next 6 months.
The dreams involved continual haunts of the number of things that I still have to do to be ready to leave on the PCT in 3 weeks. They were like the dreams you have when sick with the flu ... no matter how many times you wake up they just won't go away.
I have been slammed with getting a project done for work before leaving ... and it has been going slow! The nightmares got me thinking that maybe I should pay attention and get going on the daunting task of logistics, ordering gear, etc. - regardless of where my project is. So I got out of bed last night at 12:30 AM ( not able to endure yet a third night of restless sleep ) and began calming my trail planning fears.
The good news is that within just one day I have made great progress:
1. I have a high level schedule for the trail.
2. I have built models for food, water, and fuel consumption.
3. I have a fairly detailed gear list (some items still being weighed) with a weight budget; surprised to find that just the guide books are almost 4 pounds.
4. I ordered several major ultra-light items (Contrail TarpTent, Montbell Spiral Sleeping Bag and a NeoAir Thermarest).
5. Also, found an amazing design for a pepsi can stove - building several prototypes tomorrow. Only weighs 1 oz. - now that helps bring the weight down.
And finally, I stumbled onto postholer.com.
Three months ago I had a vision for a web site that I could access from the trail - integrated Google Maps and Twitter -and allowed my base support team (my wife and Bob) to upload photos and video as I send them the media. Well, to my amazement - my vision exists. Or at least 80% of it (no Twitter yet). Nice job postholer.com. Great site.
So begins my Pacific Crest Trail 2009 Adventure blog on April 1, 2009. (No joke.)
5.3 Million Steps
Postholer.Com © 2005-2022 - Sitemap - W3C - @postholer - GIS Portfolio