View/Sign my Guestbook
City: The Boonies
Begins: Jun 10, 2012
Date: Fri, Jul 27th, 2012
Trip Distance: 295.8
Entry Visits: 1,223
Journal Visits: 11,029
Guestbook Views: 543
Guestbook Entrys: 8
1. The trip was more fun, adventure and beautiful Scenery than I had hoped (Snail). I wish I had done it when I was young and more capable.
2. Speedy enjoyed it and said she would do it again. She preferred day hiking to backpacking. She preferred flat(There isn't much) and downhill to uphill.
3. The CT is not conducive to easy day hikes. The shuttles can be long and difficult. Some segments are too long, steep and difficult to hike in a day.
4. Snail's knees gave no problems on down or uphill. For an old goat she must have good knees. Bad Feet, balance, ankles and lungs more than made up for good knees.
5. Snail was slow < 1mph most of the time. Snail could not do 1/3 the speed or distance that Speedy could do. Snail definitely preferred flat to gentle downhills. Up is very, very hard.
6. Weather was our most difficult foe. Heat, rain, cold, hail and wind all made some days difficult. Our tent and raingear were not always adequate.
7. We were never in serious danger or seriously lost.
8. The Hot springs were a definite plus and made the whole trip better.
9. Having a truck for shuttles, a good place to sleep, transport to Hot springs and stores was a definite plus. We could do each segment the direction to minimize elevation gain. (this added a lot of extra driving). The mileage was a lot, 2653 miles from Snail's house thru the trip and back to Snails house again.
10. We spent one night at an Inn in Lake City, 4 nights at relatives houses, 5 nights both in the tent, 4 nights Speedy alone in tent, The rest of the nights were in the back of the truck. "Showers" were at the Inn, Relatives houses, 5 trips to Hot Springs, Maybell Park. Laundry was never at a Laundromat, only in creeks, or at relatives homes.
11. The foot protection methods worked with some experimentation. Snail had no foot problems using Tuf-Foot, Anastasia cream, Lamb's Wool (Remember Ballet), Foot taping and orthotics. Speedy had some blisters. After she tried the above methods things greatly improved. We wrapped our feet outside the dry socks with an old trash bag to keep them dry in wet shoes and deluges. It helped.
I would do it again in a minute. Anybody want to come along? Slow and Easy.
THE END (MAYBE)
Old And Young On CT
Never too Old, too Poor, or too Out of Shape to follow your dreams.
Postholer.Com © 2005-2021 - Sitemap - W3C - @postholer